Options

How are you using CCP?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
How are all of you learning how to use CCP to study for the test? Are you using it on real equipment? From Youtube? With GNS3? (Can it even be used with GNS3?)

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Cat5 wrote: »
    How are all of you learning how to use CCP to study for the test? Are you using it on real equipment? From Youtube? With GNS3? (Can it even be used with GNS3?)

So you are saying you can't run CCP? You can use GNS3 and CCP, I did that years ago and it worked just fine. Just use it to get through the exam objectives on it, after that forget it exists since you will never use it or most likely never see it in a production environment.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Oh? A coworker told me that CCP was used extensively with security people and Cisco switches. Admittedly, he doesn't do security.

Rather than try to get CCP and make it work with GNS3, and since as you say I'll probably never use it again, would just watching the tutorial videos on Youtube (and elsewhere) be sufficient to learn its ins and outs?
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh? A coworker told me that CCP was used extensively with security people and Cisco switches. Admittedly, he doesn't do security.

I have honestly never heard of anyone use CCP in production. Anyhow, I have what you're looking for. I wrote my notes for CCNA Security on Google Docs and included a tutorial in the notes how to configure CCP (I did this on a Windows computer (As I type on my Macbook :D)). Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MMqHN75RpGcjRnMmd6aUktRDA/edit

Hopefully there isn't any additional bugs you encounter. Good luck!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Been working on Cisco equipment for years and only had to get familiar with CCP for that exam. I still haven't met anyone using it in the real world.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCP only seems to be used on Cisco Exams (Security in particular). Per Cisco it is only supported on the following routers --
    • 850 Series
    • ISR
      • 860 Series (866, 867)
      • 870 Series
      • 1800 Series
      • 2800 Series
      • 3800 Series
    • ISR G2
      • 880 Series (881, 887, 888 )
      • 890 Series
      • 1900 Series
      • 2900 Series
      • 3900 Series
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use it with GNS3. Build a Router and connect it to a switch and connect the switch to a cloud. Create a Microsoft loopback adapter on your PC with a IP address that will be on the same network as your GNS3 Routers LAN address. Configure the cloud to use the Loopback adapter. Launch CCP and use the IP address of your router. I think CCP is really cool and a great tool but would never use it in production. It is really handy if you are Doing CCNA Voice with a CME router. You can setup all your DN's and FXO/FXS ports like a seasoned pro. By time I get CCP to load and navigate the drop down options, I could of just used Putty and CLI and been done before CCP loads. CCP is great for IOS firewalls and IDS/IPS configuration. I used it once for building a VPN tunnel and it added so much garbage to my config, I had no clue what I was looking at. If I would handed the mirror config to another engineer, they would punch me in the face!
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    I use it with GNS3. Build a Router and connect it to a switch and connect the switch to a cloud. Create a Microsoft loopback adapter on your PC with a IP address that will be on the same network as your GNS3 Routers LAN address. Configure the cloud to use the Loopback adapter. Launch CCP and use the IP address of your router. I think CCP is really cool and a great tool but would never use it in production. It is really handy if you are Doing CCNA Voice with a CME router. You can setup all your DN's and FXO/FXS ports like a seasoned pro. By time I get CCP to load and navigate the drop down options, I could of just used Putty and CLI and been done before CCP loads. CCP is great for IOS firewalls and IDS/IPS configuration. I used it once for building a VPN tunnel and it added so much garbage to my config, I had no clue what I was looking at. If I would handed the mirror config to another engineer, they would punch me in the face!

What router are you emulating in GNS3?
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.image
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104

Rather than try to get CCP and make it work with GNS3, and since as you say I'll probably never use it again, would just watching the tutorial videos on Youtube (and elsewhere) be sufficient to learn its ins and outs?

No, it takes a few minutes to setup. If its on the exam then you need to know how to work your way through it, again it's not something you **** 16hrs of time into. It's something you standup, run through a few things (VPN) and it's done..you should have enough to browse through CCP on the exam as needed if it's on there
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?