Options

Scripting language in the field

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a good reason to learn a scripting language at work. I see python a lot but I've never messed with it. I'm intermediate with batch scripting but that can only do so much. I've done a few simple things with bash and perl.

For those in network and security fields is there one language that stands above the rest that's good to know?
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Python is the way to go!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I say python as thats you will run into, but you may find a language you like more. Ruby is my preferred language, but the only reason is because all of my early scripts were written in ruby that were given to me.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So it largely depends on what type of security you are doing.

Exploit Development
    CPU Assembly Languages (x86, x64, ARM, etc...)

Security Scripting
    Ruby, Python and Bash

Windows Exploitation
    Powershell hands down

Web Security
    Javascript, HTML and SQL are your immediate needs. After that...start learning some Dev languages...there's a LOT, so I generally pick these up in pieces as I need them.

Mobile Security
    - Android - Java
    - iOS - Objective C / Swift
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as the Ruby vs Python debate...I think they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

For network level attacks and raw packet generation, Python has the Scapy library which is unparalleled by anything in Ruby. If you want to accomplish the same thing in Ruby...have fun writing your own raw sockets... I'm actually surprised it hasn't been ported over.

I prefer Ruby for string handling, XML/HTML parsing etc... Plus Metasploit is built on Ruby...which is obviously a huge selling point in the security world.
  • Options
    Sina80Sina80 Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ruby is heavy used in cloud systems.