Labs again....

spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

So I failed my 70-410 last year and thought I'd hang off rebooking until 2nd shot was available again, so now booked in for 3 weeks time.

The problem I've got is my weak areas, GPO & Hyper-V although I understand the theory behind them, have struggled to get some real time around playing with these topics.

I've got a HP Microserver setup with VMware, but have installed the HyperV role onto a DC to configure and test out some machines. I've built a lab environment from Microsoft with a DC, app & Intranet server with 1 client PC, but it doesn't really go too deep into how to configure the network to allow passthrough to all your servers, concentrates more on the DC setup.

Other than setting up a DC with File & print roles installed along with a couple of Win7/8 machines has anyone come across any other labs setups along with question/answer/scenarios sections, possibly similar to the Cisco Packet tracer labs available for CCNA.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Print off a list of the exam objectives and lab each one of them the best you can. If you want a more directed lab experience, you might look into Microsoft's training guide, but you should be able to do everything on your own if you understand the objectives.

With group policy, make sure you practice creating, copying, backing up, importing and editing GPOs until you can't stand it. Make sure you know how to do all of that through powershell as well. Get a good grasp on policy enforcement, inheritance, and blocking inheritance. Know all of the ways you can view the results of your GPO (RSoP, get-gporeport, tabs in GUI, etc). Try to get familiar with the location of elements nested within your group policy objects such as password policy, app locker, etc.

As for Hyper-V, I got by using it on windows 8.1 and just getting familiar with the concepts and interface. The Sybex mastering book helped with the details. Learn how to do as much as you can from powershell such as setting up vSwitches, creating VMs, disks, etc.

Good luck on your next attempt!
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @spongeym you and I are on the boat. I have the HP microserver that I just upgrade on the hard drive and memory. What I did was install Hyper-v on the 250gig drive and the main OS. I then created a win8 vm on my macbook pro. That's how I remote into the system. I then installed hyper-v software so I could create vm's on the hp microserver.

I also need to setup a lab on this since my weak spots are the same GPO policys , permission and so on.

If you do find a good tutorial let me know. In the mean time i guess just keep working on it. I myself going to take the exam next month too.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Shaun,
    I'll give that a twirl by creating labs from book examples, I've got my exam sheet which basically pointed me to what I sort of already knew were my weak points.

I think my problem is that with Cisco, the Packet tracer labs give fantastic examples and labs, which I guess is easier due to the nature of the way this kit is.

Louie - Glad to hear someone else using the fantastic Microserver. I quite enjoyed getting it up and running. Must have told everyone I work with about them, and know 3 guys who have brought them now.

I don't think a lab as we know know it exists. I've literally googled the world and can only find people who have built an environment, but no examples of an actual lab to work through. Maybe we could be onto something here?!
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    spongeym wrote: »
    Hi Shaun,
    I'll give that a twirl by creating labs from book examples, I've got my exam sheet which basically pointed me to what I sort of already knew were my weak points.

I think my problem is that with Cisco, the Packet tracer labs give fantastic examples and labs, which I guess is easier due to the nature of the way this kit is.

Louie - Glad to hear someone else using the fantastic Microserver. I quite enjoyed getting it up and running. Must have told everyone I work with about them, and know 3 guys who have brought them now.

I don't think a lab as we know know it exists. I've literally googled the world and can only find people who have built an environment, but no examples of an actual lab to work through. Maybe we could be onto something here?!

I have the MS Lab setup where you setup ADDC, app server, file server and some other servers. But just like you I like to follow examples from start to finish . That's how I learn... it's to bad that they haven't build a lab just for the 70-410 and moving forward to the 411, 412. That would be a ideal lab to have and practice.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm presuming you guys have looked on here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx

It is annoying how MS haven't added more labs and some of them are actually using Win 2008 server in the lab but I guess MS is a biz and wants to get people to pay for training, books etc.
  • spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've used a few of those labs for just my general interest more than as a solid lab for the 70-410. I'll revisit to see if any of them match the topics in the 410.