Advice on Microserver Specs for home test lab

InfoseyeInfoseye Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Am currently using a laptop at the momment for MCSA Windows 7 (70-680 & 70-686) training using Vmware to build and test machines, but installing Windows server,exchange server,Vsphere etc on the laptop made it slow most times freezes for a while running vms simultaneously.

I am considering buying a used HP proliant Microserver or similar for labbing running Servers, My aim is to build a full functioning Servers for labbing to emulate a live site running windows server,exchange etc troubleshooting,installing, breaking and fixing problems too. I also preparing for MCSA - MCSE certification to once I pass my Windows 7 cert.

Please advice on minimum specs for a Microserver I should buy e.g model,ram size, minimum specs that can handle what I require for training.

Thanks.

Comments

• joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why 686? I was told by Microsoft that you will get the mcsa and you can't upgrade to anything taking the 686...like you could have a year ago when it was the mcts. Take the 685 which is a bit easier and gives you the same thing, unless I was told wrong.
  • InfoseyeInfoseye Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have a look...

How to upgrade to the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certificationYou can upgrade these certifications to the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification.

• MCSA: Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    • MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2
    • MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    • MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010
    • MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010
    • MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
    Right but you won't be earning the MCITP. You will be earning the mcsa in windows 7. Why take the harder test the 686 and take the 685 to get your mcsa 7.
    To answer your question any processor that can do virtualization will be good enough. Focus on more ram. I use 16 gigs of ram and an I-7 2600. My server runs fine. If yo have the money get a SSD. I build my machines and I would recommended that you do the same. You get more bang for your buck when you build your own systems.
    Am not looking too earn MCITP, I read taking 680 & 686 you can upgrade it to MCSA server 2012 by passing 417 exam just a single instead of taking 410,411 and 412 exams except if am misinformed.

My laptop is an i7 2.0GHZ 500GB 8GB RAM, I have got loads of application running I guess I will increase the ram to 16GB instead has you adviced.
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    joemc3 wrote: »
    Right but you won't be earning the MCITP. You will be earning the mcsa in windows 7. Why take the harder test the 686 and take the 685 to get your mcsa 7.

Taking the 680 + 685 or 686 will give you MCITP, and MCSA. The MCITP title will be different depending on which exam you take though. Taking the 686 does allow an upgrade path to 2012 as he said. You could also upgrade to MCSA in Windows 8 if you wanted to by taking either one.

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcitp-certification.aspx

Unless their website has incorrect information on it...
    :lol: