windows server 2012 static IP

OakparktechOakparktech Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Confused to which static IP address to assign to new VM windows server 2012 AD, DNS and DHCP.
can someone please help?

I setup nested ESXI inside ESXi physical host...
Management VM is setup with windows server 2012 AD, DNS and DHCP - See screen shot.

see screen shot.

I don't have experience and need to start somewhere. I looked at youtube videos etc.

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Confused to which static IP address to assign to new VM windows server 2012 AD, DNS and DHCP.
    can someone please help?

I setup nested ESXI inside ESXi physical host...
    Management VM is setup with windows server 2012 AD, DNS and DHCP - See screen shot.

see screen shot.

I don't have experience and need to start somewhere. I looked at youtube videos etc.

Inside of one of your ESXi host, you should make another VM and install Server 2008 R2 or 2012 on it and install DNS and DHCP on that. Be aware that IP allocation won't happen until that server turns on, but if your server(s) have static IP addresses that will only really matter for dynamic clients.

Also in order to make DNS correctly you need to run 'dcpromo /adv' from the search bar on start in server 2012 you want to make your domain controller, created your domain for your lab and setup DNS which will also setup Active Directory. Remember your server(s) need static IP addresses. So if you lab range is 192.168.100.0 /24 then make your servers like 192.168.100.10 thru 20 and make your GW 192.168.100.1 (general good practice to keep your GW low in the IP range just from a design perspective nothing else) and make your DHCP scope like 192.168.100.30 to 40, as an example.

Making a domain takes a number of things and a ton of experimenting early on. Don't be usrprised if you break things. If you don't know, get in a habit of taking snapshots of your VM's before making changes inside the VM. this way if you **** up, just revert to a snapshot earlier.

Hope this helps! :)
  • OakparktechOakparktech Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice.

Inside my DataCenter, I have vm named "management VM" inside here, I setup a VM windows server 2012 with DC01 and setup DNS and DHCP scope of 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.24
    DC01 static IP of 192.168.100.10 and it doesn't work?
    my Management VM IP is 192.168.1.86 (DHCP from AT&T home router)
    Attached is a screen shot.

Goal is to keep using the home router DHCP for home devices and VM DHCP for internal network VMs

please tell me what am I doing wrong.