Another Book question.

aBlackPersonaBlackPerson Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been searching the forums trying to determine which book to purchase to help prepare for the 70-410. Its been a bit tough because everyone is recommending different books. One guy says Mastering Windows Server 2012 r2 by Mark Minasi. Another person mentions MCSA Windows Server 2012 Complete Study guide by William Panek. I'd really liek more insight on what book would better prepare me for the 70-410 to follow along with CBT nuggets and techlab.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Check out your library or a bookstore and see which publishers text suits your tastes. Usually wise to invest in two or thre texts, but until you are familiar with a publisher, you may need to hold the book in hand to compare.

Sybex are typically good. MSPress (most) series I like, but some folks do not. Handful of the newer names are fine...get one picked out and give it a try. Dropping $50-80 is not always easy, but you are investing in yourself and simply need to understand when it comes to self improvement, the investment is worth the payout.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • aBlackPersonaBlackPerson Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Check out your library or a bookstore and see which publishers text suits your tastes. Usually wise to invest in two or thre texts, but until you are familiar with a publisher, you may need to hold the book in hand to compare.

Sybex are typically good. MSPress (most) series I like, but some folks do not. Handful of the newer names are fine...get one picked out and give it a try. Dropping $50-80 is not always easy, but you are investing in yourself and simply need to understand when it comes to self improvement, the investment is worth the payout.

I wasn't exactly questioning the style of writing. More so the lack of detail in some books and others explaining how il prepared for the test they were after reading a book. I just don't want to drop 80 bucks on a book that doesn't really go over whats needed thoroughly to assist with passing the exam.
  • SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wasn't exactly questioning the style of writing. More so the lack of detail in some books and others explaining how il prepared for the test they were after reading a book. I just don't want to drop 80 bucks on a book that doesn't really go over whats needed thoroughly to assist with passing the exam.

I understand completely. I've gone from working for companies that paid for my books and exams to working for myself and having to cover my own expenses. So I try to spend my education dollars wisely.

What I've found is to scan forums like this one to see what others who have passed or more importantly failed the exam to see what they liked/disliked the materials they were using. The reviews on Amazon are a great resource as well.

What I've found over the years is that most often no single book will enable you to pass the tests. usually, you will need two, along with a combination of perusing Technet, and working stuff out in the lab.

I just started the 2012 MSCA/MCSE track and I'm starting to assemble my materials. What I'm planning is to use the best rated exam guides from Amazon, and I will supplement that with the Minasi book, Technet, and lots of hands-on. I might even pick up a Powershell book, since I've heard that shows up on several tests, and while I have some Powershell skills from my work with Exchange, things work a little differently with AD.

If you're going to do several tests, you might want to look into a subscription service like Safari.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are right having more then 1 is always good. Trust me I started with one book and that didn't help me pass the exam the first time. The second time I bought the other book but it was and old one didn't want to pay to much for it but didn't pass either... Not enough lab and example to work on.

Right now I have 3 books

Master Windows Server 2012
    Microsoft Official Academic Course -- this book is okay but you get lost right away trying to follow the steps they are talking about.
    MCSA 70-410 Cert Guide R2 by Don Poulton and David Camardella. So far this book is okay. Getting threw the 2nd chapter as we steak. HOpefully there will be example and other stuff to learn.

The key is to read and do lab. For me to learn things I need to see examples and do them. I need to follow step by step. Structure!
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*