CISSP Exam Scheduled!

jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
August 10th is my exam date! I'm giving myself plenty of time to study, starting with the Conrad book. I've pre-ordered his new book, but that won't be out for a few months. I currently have Security+ and a BS in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance. I must say, the resources I have found here have been very helpful so far, so thanks to everyone here that posts success stories and various tips.

Comments

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck. read all the passed threads here. You will do just fine.
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have just booked my exam as well.

Do you have a link to his new book?
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This title will be released on September 12, 2015. Hopefully I would have passed the exam by then :D
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    September? Dang, last I looked on Amazon it said it would be released in June! Oh well.
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what book to use between april and september?
    Apparently the content of the actual exam isn't changing so you should be ok with existing books.
  • BGavnGBGavnG Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Archon wrote: »
    Apparently the content of the actual exam isn't changing so you should be ok with existing books.

Where is your reference for this? This is one of my largest concerns.
    Someone more in the know than me mentioned it in another thread. There was only a few months notice of the change so it cant be major.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Eric and Seth don't tend to change anything radically. Mostly small updates, clarifications and reactions to some feedback. The book will be just as out of date before its published and available like any other computer resource in physical form. OK if everything were digital and authors had infinite amounts of time to update everything possible, you'd have an argument.

In other words: Don't hold your breath waiting for the latest and greatest revision to come out. Breath easy and study from a number of sources til you feel sick and tired of reading the material - then and only then - take your exam.

- beads
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    August is a long time out. I've noticed some folks study in their spare time until the last couple of weeks before the test and then they cram trying to catch up. Agree with Beads, study hard until you you know right off the top of your head where SSL and FTP sit in the OSI. Study until you can recite the steps involved in BIA. Once you have gone through all domains and feel you can't learn anymore..take the test asap.

I studied until I felt I couldn't absorb any more, it was all repetition, Paid Pearson Vue $50 bucks to change the test date and moved the test date up two weeks.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with beads, over prepared is better than underprepared. You are giving yourself a lot of time to study which is a great idea. In my mind, when I set date for a certification, its like getting ready for an MMA fight.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I studied so much that I feel like I could teach a bootcamp with a fair amount of success. Keep at it, the initial high of passing the exam was one of the best feelings of my life.
  • sponge2sponge2 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi jt2929,
    As others have mentioned don't sweat about the change in the exam. The content is not changed, it is updated.
    The current books and practice exams should do well.
    All the best.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all. I'm definitely not worried about the content being updated or updated book, it just would have been nice to have the most current book before the exam. I'll use what I have now and pick up some other resources along the way. I'm currently putting in an hour every night of study time, but plan to increase that once my little guy at home decides to start sleeping through the night!