selling ESXi 5.5 as a solution....

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
So I'm up against tough critics at my new gig and I'm curious if anyone knows a good white paper on the benefits of VMWare, like my boss wants to see in black-n-white the memory/resource management that ESXi provides a host with VM's inside of it vs just having a Windows OS with a hypervisor installed over it like Hyper-V...

Anyone ever have to sell VMware to a tough boss that wants to see hard-facts on the gains of namely a SQL-based ERP?

I know for a fact it will provide performance, stability, and low TCO since I know VMware pretty well at this point, but this is for the non-believers, lol!

EDIT: found this on VMware website: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-sql-server-vsphere55-perf.pdf

If anyone know any other good resources please pass them along!

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    w00t I got approval for the 85k in network/system upgrades over the course of 4 phases, basically one phase per quarter this year.

Phase one: ESXi cluster and P2V Migrations. vCops Enterprise is being used to track cluster performance over the track of the project. :)
    Phase two: core network upgrades, Dell N2048 fabric to upgrade existing 2824's.
    Phase three: Windows Terminal Services, all desktops turned into glorified thin clients. Terminal Server would reside on same host in a VM affinity to the SQL application that company runs on.
    Phase four: yet to be determined SAN array for making the whole network built correctly and to spec'd for performance and DR. This will be the last since SAN's are easily 20k or more.

I got the DPACK back from Dell and while I do want a SAN, a local array @ 10k & 12.4 TB's in size will suffice in the interm while the infrastructure is upgraded.

I have to do it in baby steps so that the cost is more easily absorbed, I'm looking forward to the project, it's going to be fun. When all said and done it will be my baby. :)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exciting times!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @=Deathmage

Be sure to take notes so that you can reflect on it later, and put it on your resume/linkedin. Project sounds awesome, Have fun with it :D
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome project, man! Good luck!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    Now I just need to finish my CCNA studies, as I've never done 10 gbit before with a SAN.... :)icon_rolleyes.gif

The Dell switches sold me cause the new Dell switches are so close to Cisco's CLi at a fraction of the cost. :)
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Have fun! My lab is a full 5.5 enterprise plus setup. The one production system I setup was a 10 GIG icsci fiber backbone. Juniper EX 4500s.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That was a quick sell. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I saw this pop up and instantly started looking for some resources to send you without reading the rest of the postings. Came back and noticed the second posting saying you got approved. Good for you. Now to files these pdf's for future reference.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    wouldn't mind the pdf's if you have them. Send me a PM and I'll provide my email address. :)
    More of a dropbox type transfer :)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    That would be awesome!
    Deathmage wrote: »
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    That would be awesome!

Send me a pm with your email address. I have to get them uploaded then I will send you a link to the shared folder.
    Currently Studying: