CCNP Route V2 (300-101) What is and Isn't covered on the exam

Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
There has been lots of discrepancies in determining what is an is not a topic on an exam and to what degree a covered topic is tested.
For example:
Exam objectives show under Infrastructure Security describing AAA with and without TACACS+ and RADIUS, topics normally covered in the Security exam. Yet the Cisco Press Quick Reverence doesn't mention AAA at all, though it does have an infrastructure security.
None of my other study resources seem to go over this either, though they don't go over much about the fringe topics anyway.

Practice exams have questions on PIM, yet PIM isn't in the exam objectives list, nor in the Quick Reference, both I consider more or less authoritive on the actual exam coverage.

CBTNuggets and Quick Reference go over PPPoE in some detail, but differ in method of configuring. Quick Reference uses the old method of using a Dialer, where as CBTN has a new shortcut way of doing it. Exam objectives has it as Configure and Verify, so one does need to know how to set it up, though probably only a multiple choice question and not a SIM/Simlett
PPP Authentication, also classified as Configure and Verify, has very basic information in Quick Reference, not mentioning about "implicit" username that a practice question brought up.

In another post I also mentioned MPLS being a concern, where the exam objectives don't mention it at all, yet CBTN and Quick Reference do bring up the topic, though more of an informative approach than a config approach.

I realize the items in dispute probably won't have too much weight in grading, with the bulk of the grading on EIGRP, OSPF and BGP, but every bit counts, and collectively the small stuff can easily add up to a pass/fail.

So what do you think? Any ideas about what I brought up above, or anything else you may be in doubt whether the exam covers a subject matter or not?

Comments

• chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has the price changed?

200USD? 250? more?
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    $250 through Pearson Vue
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chmod wrote: »
    Has the price changed?

200USD? 250? more?

$250. The price went up several months ago.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    $250. The price went up several months ago.

How much? What is the current price?
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The people who have already took the test aren't going to be able to say anything, and the people who haven't taken the test only have the exam objectives to go by. I think your getting worried about small details.

If it's on the exam objectives you should at least know something about it even if none of the training material out there goes over it.

If CBT Nuggets and the quick reference guide explain something two different ways, then it's good that your using more than one source to learn new technologies.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chmod wrote: »
    How much? What is the current price?

$250 is the current price. CCNP exams used to be $200 each.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Those small things can add up real quick to mean a pass or fail. I have to admit though, the recent exam objectives show more detail than they have in the past.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Danman32 wrote: »
    There has been lots of discrepancies in determining what is an is not a topic on an exam and to what degree a covered topic is tested.
    [...]

So what do you think? Any ideas about what I brought up above, or anything else you may be in doubt whether the exam covers a subject matter or not?

My thoughts are that you need to know the core topics well enough that you'll collect all the easy points. If you do that, unexpected minor topics can't hurt you. I didn't experience this on the Switch exam, but on Route I got a few questions that I really didn't know, or could have known, based on the material that I used and what was said on the, at the time, not very specific blueprint. To someone with a more diverse background those questions were perhaps trivial, but I pretty much only knew what was in the official textbooks. The thing is, I still passed fairly easily (albeit with a lower score than I otherwise would have gotten) because the majority of the questions were on well known core topics. So focus on those, and don't worry too much.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "describing AAA with and without TACACS+ and RADIUS" Is on both ROUTE and SWITCH exam objectives. The quick reference for SWITCH looks like it has "7. AAA with RADIUS and TACACS+" maybe they didn't want the same chapter in two different books?

I guess this means you need the switch book to study route icon_silent.gif
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Took the exam this morning, passed with 967. Test wasn't as bad as I thought it would be in the manner of complexity for the short questions. Short questions weren't as grueling as practice exams I've been taking. Some things I thought for sure would be tested surprisingly weren't. I wish I could say what.