Options

one AD & one DC

!30!30 Member Posts: 356
I'm not sure of one thing , I create an Active Directory with dcproomo on a Domain Contrller , on a domain named mic.ro , I want to create another Domain Controller , have I to create again Active Directory and configure Domain Controller ? and replication will have the job to replciate those object in the Active dIRECTORY copy fromthe first DC to the second , or something like that ? I'm not sure if I understand the right thing ?
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You mean you created a DC with AD and now want a BDC? If this is the case things should replicate to the BDC as long as its a member of the domian. Setup DNS with integrated AD on the PDC and then the BDC, you will also need this.
  • Options
    Maybe I exaplain wrong to you.

1.I have a server , 2003 server , I use DCPROMO and give the server role to Domain Controller ( DC ).So an Active Directory will be created to maintain those object , access to resurses , user's , computer's etc..
    2.I created the domain cisco.ro , on this DC.
    3.Supose that I want to manage and configure another DC in this domain , I'll have only to use DCPROMOto manage and create another server windows 2003 server , with domain controler role , and the drectory database from the first DC will be replcated to new created DC's no ?

My question is , the Active Directory is created once , when the first DC is configured on a windows 2000/2003 server on the network , and the directory database replcaited to all new created DC's on the domain no?I mean the Active Directory is uniq for all DC'S in the domain , and the AD is created once , with the first DC and then replcaied to another's DC , and when one aleatory DC make change's , like disabling or adding an obkect to the database this is replciated to all DC's to modify they directory dayabase in AD ?

I'm right ? , or I'm worng ?
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    All DCs in your domain will have the same AD. No matter what DC you make changes to the AD from it will change and be the same for the network and all DCs. There is only 1 AD and all DCs uses it and have access to changing it.
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Yes, you're right, it will replicate. And Garv, BDCs are extinct. :P
    witty comment
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    garv221 wrote:
    All DCs in your domain will have the same AD. No matter what DC you make changes to the AD from it will change and be the same for the network and all DCs. There is only 1 AD and all DCs uses it and have access to changing it.

That's true for a single domain forest and all DCs common to a domain in a multi-domain forest, but if there are multiple AD domains, some partitions will be different for different domains. That's the reason for the global catalog; so one domain can locate objects in another domain without replicating the entire domain.

True, there is no such thing as a BDC anymore. However, there are roles, services if you will, that can only be running on one DC within a forest or domain depending on the role. This is to prevent database update contentions. These role masters can be moved from any DC to any other DC within the scope of the role.
  • Options
    So I was aproximatively right , but the Active Directory will be created when I configure the first DC no ?(first DC in domain) then will replicated accros domain to another's DC.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Yes, when you run DCPromo on your first server, it will ask you if this is a new forest or an existing one. If you select NEW, then a new AD database is created with default objects.
    In subsequent servers, you would select NO to the 'New forest?' question (or EXISTING). Then it will ask, is this server being added to an existing domain? Answer: Existing.
    Be sure the additional servers are already members of the new domain. You can join and promote at the same time, but it saves on troubleshooting (though perhaps adds to the number of reboots).
  • Options
    BDCs exist in an NT enviroment. :P I was just breaking it down for him, I learned everyting on an old network. I still think of my secondary internal DNS as a BDC - old habbit. icon_thumright.gif