Preparing for CISSP - Advice on what is needed

BoobrieBoobrie Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I read some of the posts here and they are very helpful.

I am an experienced Network Engineer and PM and want to get certified.

Can I get advice on what books to Purchase?

My list from feedback on this site:

Shon Harris CISSP 6th edition
Shon Harris Practice Exams
Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide (including 11th Hour Study Guide)

Practice Exams:
McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams
Eric Conrad: 500 Free CISSP® Practice Questions

Thanks,
Rick

Comments

• k3rberosk3rberos Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the exam in a few weeks. My main resources are:
    - Both Eric Conrad books (main)
    - CBT Nuggets (main)
    - Official ISC2 Guide to the CISSP 3rd edition (reference)
    - Shon Harris CISSP 6th edition (reference)

I've read both the Conrad books multiple times, it's easy to read and I like the way it's written. I read the Official book once, and I have mixed feelings about it. I read a few pages of the Shon Harris book, but it's too in depth and too technical for my taste.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    k3rberos wrote: »
    I'm taking the exam in a few weeks. My main resources are:
    - Both Eric Conrad books (main)
    - CBT Nuggets (main)
    - Official ISC2 Guide to the CISSP 3rd edition (reference)
    - Shon Harris CISSP 6th edition (reference)

I've read both the Conrad books multiple times, it's easy to read and I like the way it's written. I read the Official book once, and I have mixed feelings about it. I read a few pages of the Shon Harris book, but it's too in depth and too technical for my taste.

How do you like the CBT Nuggets??
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I created a CISSP Study folder and dropped all my material in there, with exception of a hardcover book, my list as follows:

1. CISSP Cert Guide (Hardcover Book) - Troy McMillan (I highly recommend this book, so easy to read and get the concepts)
    2. CISSP Practice Questions 3rd Edition (ebook) - Michael Gregg (good practice questions)
    3. CBT Nuggets Keith Barker 2014 (great explanations)
    4. CISSP For Dummies 4th Edition (ebook)
    5. Sunflower pdf (breakdown of the CBK domains)
    6. CISSP Study Guide (ebook) - Eric Conrad (really good book as well!)
    7. CISSP Exam Guide 6th Edition (ebook) - Shon Harris (A monster of a book, which I read on and off but don't really care too much for it)
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • k3rberosk3rberos Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like it, it's only 12 hours so it's very high level but it helped me understand some of the topics I had a hard time learning from reading. It's a nice resource to compliment my reading.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is no auto-magic solution to studying. Some materials work better for some than others. I liked Shon when I meet her years ago but hated her writing style and stayed away from her books/courses. Too basic and too wordy for my habits. Shon, we will always miss you.

Used Eric Conrad's materials quite well as my base and about every quiz book I could stomach, CCCure.org as well. That which I couldn't answer in a quiz book I looked up on the Internet or in a book. That's it. Nothing to it. Even some quiz books I found too many errors or problems with and wanted nothing to do with shortly after opening.

Find and use the materials that make the most sense for you to study and run with those. As I said above. For myself - mainly quiz books and reverse research. Same thing I am doing for CRISC. Its the way to go - for me.

- beads
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    Beads hit on this a bit.....if you don't understand the answer then make sure to look it up. The real test won't have the same word for word questions. But if you understand and know the concept and theories that get you to the right answer then you'll do just fine on the real test.

I went to a 5 day internal employer training and read Shon Harris 4th edition and that was the extent of my studying. A coworker said cccure.org really helped him and now I'm hearing McGraw-Hill has the best.
    beads wrote: »
    Same thing I am doing for CRISC.

Beads, why CRISC? I didn't know it held much value. At least it hasn't for me and I've never been offered a job for it. I mainly keep it now for the ISACA benefits. Now I'm curious if I'm missing something.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • gorgongorgon Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For free resources you should check out open security training and Skillset:

CISSP-Main
    https://www.skillset.com/certifications/cissp