Getting back in the cert mode

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been out of the cert game for about 2 years now. The last time I passed a cert was back in 2013. I've had some unexpected turns in my life and lost my mojo. Anyways when I did get somewhat back into it, I have failed my exams 2 times for CCENT got 801 both times then failed Server+ 2 times. I've been hating myself because I lost my momentum and consistency of study time. Anyways does anyone have any good advice to get back in the cert game after being out for some time? Much appreciated.

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my mind, I think of every cert as an upcoming mma fight. My record is 3-2 lol. I failed the A+ software, then passed, failed the hardware then passed. Then got my Security+ I don't count the ACMT because it is an open book exam online. I winged that, and like the A+, failed both software and hardware before I passed. I just put it on there as another credential, doesn't hurt right? Anyway, you have to set yourself a goal. Never step into the ring sort to speak underprepared make sure you are over prepared. I haven't done any certs since 2013 either (my Sec+) I am studying for my C|EH at the moment. I want to take it next month, I haven't set a date yet but I will soon. Once you set a date you're kind of locked in and have no choice but to train (study). Do you want to avenge your losses? Do you want to take the exams you failed previously? You have to figure out what you want to study and do it, every day. Even if it is only for a few minutes, it helps. When you feel ready, then you set a date. But continuously study up until that test day. Use different mediums to study, videos, books, practice questions, etc. Once you figure out what cert you want to go for next, just put your aim on that, and let us know if you need any encouragement long the way!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the CCENT again to avenge my 0-2 record with Cisco. I know the exact questions that screwed me up and it sucks because their wording is horrible. I've been all around the block when it comes to Cisco material. I am right there to getting it just 3 points off. Used almost everything out there for the most part. I definitely need encouragement now. Lucky for me I just renewed my CompTIA certs and they don't expire until 2019 :) Just want to finish this CCENT before I graduate. Then once I start working hit up ICND2 on my days off from work and on the weekends and days after work. Do you currently go to school yourself or are you a working adult? I'm just finishing my college life and about to enter the "real world" I'm not going to bother with CompTIA anymore other then taking the Security+ exam again in 2017 or so to renew. Other then that I'm not going to bother with them. I don't find their other exams worth the money and they don't have any value after A,Net and Sec. The money you spend for a CompTIA cert such as Healthcare IT ($109) or Project+ ($260 give or take) I can spend 30 dollars more and get a Cisco voucher and Cisco has more weight in the industry or better yet get 2 Cisco vouchers for $300 dollars then Healthcare IT. Do you catch my drift? I haven't seen any jobs that require Project+ or Linux+. Are they cool yes. Are they necessary and required for jobs and worth the money invested into them, no.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am also a working adult, I am 33. I work at a university and they pay for my tuition, 9 credits a semester. I obtained my Associates in Dec 2013, now I am in my bachelor's program hoping to finish Dec. 2015. You are in pretty good shape with your certs and college degree behind you, you are already a step up from the rest when you graduate and will be ready for the real world. I dropped out of college in 2001, got my A+ and started working in IT since then. But now I am back in school because I want to get into the IT Security field. I worked with a guy that took the CCENT three times before he passed, he was also studying from Todd Lammle's book. So third times a charm!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks danny069 I appreciate what you said! I hope the third time is the lucky time for me. I am taking it a few days after my birthday so I know what to wish for on my birthday cake :) HAHA (o no it won't come true now crap). I kicked a lot of (@ss) here to get to where I am at now. I have used also multiple books including Wendell Odom (don't care for his writing style much at all and his book just looks more complicated then the exam is). Paul Browning CCNA in 60 days is another good book that I have used in the past. I almost passed the CCENT with just his book alone the first time and got 801. It is not a bad book for the price of $10 for the ebook. His printed book is expensive and bulky but I think it was worth it. Chris Bryant you name it. Cisco tests are just a different animal then the CompTIA exams. Speed and accuracy are key for their exams. You can't backtrack like you can with CompTIA. What I liked about CompTIA was that I can take my time and really analyze the answer choices and know what I chose was correct. Cisco you need speed and accuracy no doubt about it. I have been working on my mental agility and reasoning and with practice tests it has done me well. I just hate going into the testing center and knowing you can't backtrack. It gets me all messed up. From taking the tests I have learned a lot about the Cisco way of doing things and a lot about networking more then the Network+. In networking you have to be fast if something goes down. So overall I can't be to mad at myself. I have learned more from the CCENT then I did my college IT classes that is for sure. They only covered the basics of networking mostly theory not much application other then a few labs. I hate that college is cramming a lot in a short amount of time. I like to take my time and really explore it. O well it is almost done. Final haul for me!
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Sorry K, but you don't know what you are talking about. I work DOD. I'd say there are about 30 at the lab I work with that use administer Linux. every one of them has a Linux+ or some higher level Linux cert. Our latest new hires must get his Linux+ within six months of his hire date. So just because you haven't seen any jobs that require Linux certification, don't say there aren't any. And even if they don't reuire Linux, knowing Linux will take you a long way. Become familiar with DOD 8570. Everyone who supports an OS, must have a certification in that OS.