Eligibility for CISSP

rajeshkallurirajeshkalluri Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys,
I am in confusion, whether i am eligible to take CISSP exam.
I am Bachelor degree holder and also have masters degree in software systems. From 2011 march, i am working as a project lead on scada security project. My responsibilities include setting up a scada testbed as per the defense in depth architecture, risk analysis of scada architecture as per isa 99 standard, developing IEC 62351 stack (authentication) for hardening SCADA protocols IEC 870-5-101 and IEC 870-5-104. I would like to know, whether i am eligible to take CISSP exam.

I posted this query to ISC2 management, but i did not get any reply.

I got this doubt, after preparing for exam for almost 3 months.

Please some body advise.

Regards,
rajesh

Comments

• ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone can take the exam. It's the next phase which is endorsement. This can either be done by someone already CISSP qualified or ISC2 do it using your CV and previous experience. You will need at least 4 years (5 without degree or masters / authorised certs) in at least 2 of the 10 domains. If you don't meet the experience criteria you can become an Associate until you do.
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Anybody can take the test.
    Go to the ISC2 home page and search for "how to certify" .
    It will explain the steps required.
  • sponge2sponge2 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rajesh,
    Based on your description I think you will be able to demonstrate your work experience. Reach out to a CISSP and ask them to validate your resume for endorsement.
  • MeanandMeanand Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone can appear for the exam.
    If you have five experience in any two domains you become CISSP.
    Else you become a associate... As and when you have five years experience you become CISSP.

It is unto you.

Your knowledge will help you.
    Experience would help you much more.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are eligible to take the exam as is anyone. The real question is are you eligible to become a full CISSP instead of the 'associate', which is nice I suppose but if you are taking a $600 exam you want to be fully certified, meaning you have 4 to 5 years experience already in at least 2 of the 10 CBK domains.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • sponge2sponge2 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rajesh,
    What did you decide?
  • rajeshkallurirajeshkalluri Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Thank you all for your suggestions .....

But, still i did not understand whether i am eligible or not?

Can somebody suggest, is there any way to cross check endorsement at this stage?

As per my understanding, when i map my experience against domains, i have experience in following domains ...
    • Telecommunications and Network Security - I was lead to setup SCADA testbed and as part of this, i worked on communication channels and attacks on components, architectures such as defense in depth etc.
    • Access Control - As part of providing security, I implemented a standard (IEC 62351) for providing integrity between the devices.
    • Cryptography - As part of IEC 62351 implementation, cryptography algorithms need to be implemented.
    With the provided information, can someone suggest me ...

Thank you all for your time and valuable inputs.

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You'll need to reach out to ISC(2) directly, they can help you determine your eligibility.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    icon_cry.gif
    After mailing to different departments at CISSP, finally i got a reply stating that, i have to decide whether my experience meets the eligibility criteria or not ... they review the experience only at endorsement stage ...

Don't know what to do?
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I'd say that if you're wanting to pursue it then do it. If you pass the exam you become an associate of ISC2 and that can still be placed on your resume and you will be granted the full CISSP designation once you complete the requirements for endorsement. If you're not comfortable with that, then I'd suggest the SSCP, it knocks one year's worth of the required experience off the full CISSP.
  • !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let me make it simple. If you have worked for the required number of years/time in the appropriate domains then you should be fine otherwise not. Read the requirements and map your time frames accordingly then you will have your answer.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rajesh - It's like !nf0 said. Pass the exam, then submit your paperwork for endorsement. The endorsement form states the following.
    Applicants must have a minimum of five years of direct full time security professional work experience in two or more ofthe ten domains of the (ISC)² CISSP CBK.

Your Bachelors or Masters can get a 1 year waiver, or if you have an approved certification

https://www.isc2.org/credential_waiver/default.aspx

Once the paperwork is submitted you'll have to wait 5-6 weeks for status on your endorsement.
    Thank you all ...

I decided to go ahead ...