elearn security PTS V3

BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
So eLearn Security just refreshed their Penetration Testing Student (PTS) course and launched V3 as of today. I was on the webinar when they described the new course and they gave out an invite code for people to get access to the material online for free. I thought the people on here might enjoy it. I've never taken a course with them so I can't speak for it's value, but free material is free material. It should be good until 28 Feb. Also if you decide to upgrade to the actual course (videos, downloadable .pdf, labs, certification) it's at a very discounted rate until that date. It looks like the basics, but still a good foundation for those new to or curious about penetration testing.

Invite code is NUI-ACQ
https://www.elearnsecurity.com/affiliate/redeem.php

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the share!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The also introduced a new cert to go along with the new course. Very introductory, but may be a good place to start for a complete beginner.

"The eJPT designation stands for eLearnSecurity Junior Penetration Tester. eJPT is a 100% practical certification on penetration testing and information security essentials. By passing the challenging exam and obtaining the eJPT certificate, a penetration tester can prove their skills in the fastest growing area of information security"
    https://www.elearnsecurity.com/course/penetration_testing_student/
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Huh. Does anyone know if v2 students get the full v3 upgrade for free? I could have sworn we were supposed to have access to the most updated curriculum.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PTSv3 looks like a good improvement from PTSv2 as far as course delivery and content goes (in the brief time I spent looking at it). That being said, I'm a little surprised they aren't doing anything for people who purchased the PTSv2 previously.
    Well I got this in my email:

We have just added an invite to your account. You or someone else can use it to enroll into the invite-only PTSv3 Barebone Edition at no cost. This invite is valid for 2 weeks from today.
    I thought we were to have access to the most updated curriculum as well...definitely a little misleading. They've now put on the website that for major releases, there is an upgrade fee associated with it - okay, then take care of your v2 students with a deeper discount.

With the barebones, you don't get the video and some other 'stuff'. Since I don't know what the video content looks like, I can't say whether or not it would be any more valuable than what is included with just the slides. Curious to see how much weight this new 'cert' holds - i.e. will it provide actual value to the test taker or is this just another way of generating revenue stream?
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    5ekurity wrote: »
    I thought we were to have access to the most updated curriculum as well...definitely a little misleading. They've now put on the website that for major releases, there is an upgrade fee associated with it - okay, then take care of your v2 students with a deeper discount.

With the barebones, you don't get the video and some other 'stuff'. Since I don't know what the video content looks like, I can't say whether or not it would be any more valuable than what is included with just the slides. Curious to see how much weight this new 'cert' holds - i.e. will it provide actual value to the test taker or is this just another way of generating revenue stream?

If you use the invite code the upgrade discount until the 28th is fairly steep. It's $100 less than the advertised prices, so for the Full version it's $99, and $199 for the Elite. I'm curious about the weight of the cert as well, and because of the low cost I'm planning on upgrading. I wont really be able to dive in to it for a few weeks, but I'll give a review once I do. There's a job posting that I'm looking at and the requirements include CISSP and "a penetration testing cert (GPEN)". I'm still unsure as to if they'll accept any cert like OSCP or just GPEN. Being that I want the OSCP for myself I'll be using that when I apply hopefully. Since this course is so cheap I'm now going to try the eJPT and call the recruiter to see what they say about it, OSCP, etc.

One thing that I like from the syllabus is the inclusion of some programming.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am planning to get the Elite version, at 199$ it is cheaper than the Security+ exam.

I got the v2 at the discounted price of 49$, so even if you add both 199 + 49 it is still cheaper than the Security+ voucher.
    wd40, while you are correct, they are covering two different areas of security. From an employers perspective, which one do you think will hold more weight?
  • realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will be doing the elite. I think the certification will help in my field and assist me in the PTPv3 course. I hope to transition to a pure ICS cyber security role and do believe the eJPT will have value within the power industry for demonstrated pentest knowledge.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the post. I'm totally doing this!!!! I gotta get a 'c' book and start focusing on 'c' and python. I might do some scripting too. Went to the website and it's already discounted :)

We should put together a study group for those who sign up for this course. I've been looking how to add extra Hera time. It would be great if I could do that. Some of this stuff is already review but it'll be fun for sure!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    5ekurity wrote: »
    wd40, while you are correct, they are covering two different areas of security. From an employers perspective, which one do you think will hold more weight?

I have no idea, it could end up being a good cert to have or it could turn into a failure, at the end you will have the knowledge and a certificate to prove that you have the knowledge.

I was thinking about CEH to add some Pen testing credentials to my CV, but if you do not have the experience you need to attend official training which costs $$$$, eJPT is a cheaper alternative
    At this point I don't expect to see any value from an employers perspective. CEH is well established as a minimum and then you have OSCP and GPEN in the middle arena. If we get decent reviews maybe in a few years it will have worth, but the issue is you have the eCPPT right above it, I suspect it will be much in that position as the CCENT, a minor stepping stone that no one will pay particular attention to. They will expect you to have eCPPT very soon after the PTS.
    Thanks for the post. I'm totally doing this!!!! I gotta get a 'c' book and start focusing on 'c' and python. I might do some scripting too. Went to the website and it's already discounted :)

Check out Code Academy for programming and scripting while you're at it. The PTSV3 course has a programming section, I haven't gone through it yet but if you're doing the course then try those two free resources before spending more money for programming.
    One thing I did notice that I don't like about the course, in similar course I've done the written material and videos compliment each other, in this course they contain separate material. The slide will say something like "Now watch the video for a demonstration of how to use Wireshark." If you're on the barebones version you wont have access to the videos. I prefer having the steps taken in the video as a written walk through be cause it can give insight to details that you can't see in a video or allow a quick reference to information/commands/etc.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the Elite All Access Pass Package and I've learned A LOT! Recognition by HR is slowly coming along - remember, OSCP only now is really being mentioned on job descriptions with CEH and the like.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Material looks good so far. It's a nice LITE review of the some of the material in the GIAC GPEN. They seem to be improving the quality of their material slowly but surely. I respect that.
    I just ordered the Elite upgrade, and noticed that you get 3 free exam retakes :, they really want people to Pass the exam.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just upgraded to Elite as well....I am just hoarding it for later...lol
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just paid for the PSTv3 Elite. I can't wait to start doing this, I'm going to the store to get some energy drinks soon.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the plunge on this too and I think it is okay for an entry level course. The discounted price of $199 for the elite package was a good deal. This course would not be a substitute for obtaining the Security+ or some other security related certs but will help to augment that knowledge.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
    The exam is available now ..
    Thanks, I saw the email yesterday for the exam. I'm taking CISSP on Monday, then I'm going to give the eJPT exam a shot.
  • smecherainensmecherainen Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone help me with an invite only to PTS V3? I could surely appreciate it on it's value.
  • adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    I've been curious about eLearn for a while. Does anybody have an invite? Are the invites even worth it?
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, they worth it. I would have loved such a course when I was starting.
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can anyone send an invite?
  • MaximlockeMaximlocke Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im a tad confused. That redeem link doesnt seem to work for me?
  • MaximlockeMaximlocke Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The invitations were given at launch last year, I don't think that you can get an invite now.