MTA Security Fundamentals vs Security+

Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Either better than the other?
Either of them overlap? Content covered in one, but no the other?

Recommended study materials?
Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
WGU-Software Development Student

Comments

• Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've taken MTA and currently pursuing security+ what I can tell you is the MTA is just a small skim of security+. I would recommend to just go into security+ but only did it because I wanted a taste to see if I like the security domain of IT, and I love it all of it. So if you know you want get into security because you want to skip MTA, but if you are not sure then take it matter fact just read the book and you'll know
  • Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's what I was thinking, too. Because my college uses MTA Security Fundamentals crossed with Security+ for one of the classes.

IT 228 - Information Security Fundamentals

Presents the principles of information security. Both the managerial and the technical aspects of the discipline are explored and knowledge areas of the CompTIA Security+ Certification and Microsoft MTA Security Certification are addressed. Includes examples of issues faced by information technology professionals and tools for designing security policy, acceptable use policy, materials disposal policy and access management policy. Threat assessment, risk assessment and disaster recovery strategy are discussed. Course offers some opportunities for hands-on experience with security software tools. Prerequisites: IT 108 and IT 117 with a grade of C or higher, or instructor permission.

http://www.everettcc.edu/catalog/index.cfm?courselist=list&dept=154&searchc=

I take it summer quarter, though.
    Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
    WGU-Software Development Student
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MTA exams are the lowest entry level cert that I know of. There is overlap but MTA covers a fraction of the material. Outlines are available from the respective vendors to compare. Not sure if I would waste much time on MTA exams...if they are required or you just need "a cert" that's fine or if you have very little knowledge on a subject.

If you have no other certifications you might consider something like Network+ first to at least give a little background on how data communication works because otherwise you will be lost and just regurgitating study material.
  • adikeshavadikeshav Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think MTA is for beginners. It is like a cert you can get merely for satisfaction or a kickstart to an IT career . Much similar to HP-ATA certification.

If you are new , Go for MTA ! It would be a morale boost when your career needs it the most.
    I had a dream i was king .Woke up , Still kind:cheers:
  • greenaegreenae Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've taken MTA Networking, Security, and Windows Server Fundamentals. Of the three, Security Fundamentals was the easiest. A lot of common sense questions. Judging by that, I would definitely take Security+. It is probably more comprehensive and rigorous, so more cachet with employers.

Some instructors will use the MTAs as practice/introduction for the corresponding CompTIA exams, so that might be what will happen for your class. By themselves, I think MTAs are good for showing that you have exposure to a topic, but nowhere near the level of skill or mastery you really want.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    I have taken both of these certifications so I'll give you my thoughts.

MTA Security Fundamentals: This is an entry level certification that is specific to Microsoft Products. It is a good primer in security fundamentals and I read the books and watched the CBT Nuggets. While the syllabus may seem basic I find many networks fail to follow even the most basic fundamentals. I felt it was the easier of the two.

Security+: A more robust exam that I would call a touch more difficult. Security+ is a great all around primer for a good foundation in security & delves into things like PKI, certificates, etc. The CBT Nuggets by Keith Barker are a good learning tool. This certificate demonstrates you know the fundamentals of IT security. If resources only allow for 1 certification take this one.

As for the general argument what has value with employers, try not to see it that way. Build yourself a solid foundation in security & then move on. After you complete this I'd recommend the SSCP. You'll delve a bit deeper into some fields of security than on Security+ and it's a good addition to a resume. If you can compliment the above with the CEH. The CEH will not turn you into Kevin Mitnick but it will give you a decent understanding of offensive hacking. You'll explore the tools for vulnerability scanning, etc which is a good addition to any system administrators toolkit.

Good luck.
  • E_ITE_IT Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are at WGU and have both classes on your degree plan. You can take the Security+ test and request credit for the MTA Security class. You don't get the cert only the CUs toward your degree. IMO. Both are more of networking type classes than security. Both barely scratch the surface on actual InfoSec.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology
    Current Course -
    C278
    Courses Left - CJC1, IWT1, BNC1, CVV1, QZT1
    Completed Courses - ORA1, WFV1, CLC1, INC1, QBT1, DHV1, INT1, CRV1, CWV1, DIV1, CTV1, TPV1, CUV1, BOV1, MGC1, DJV1, CJV1, C220, C221, C277
    Transferred - LAE1, CPV1, AGC1, AXV1, IWC1, BVC1, BBC1, LUT1, DEV1, DFV1, EUC1, EUP1, RIT1

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If the Security+ is a mile wide and an inch deep, the MTA: Security is a kilometer wide and a centimeter deep.