Passed the 70-687 on Monday - onto to 70-688

baboontesterbaboontester Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
WOOT! icon_lol.gif

This was my first certification. Passed this test on my first try with an 805 after failing the Windows 7 test last summer. I found the test to be a little easier (to me) than the Windows 7 test but I also have 6 more months of experience as well.

A book I used and I definitely recommend if you're studying is THIS one, it's a huge book, but the practice test on the CD and within each chapter are really nice. I also used the training videos on Skillsoft which helped out alot as well.

Onto the 70-688. Any tips on it??

Comments

• Bobby_HillBobby_Hill Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done,

I'm currently doing the 70-687 and 688 too, hope to take them in the next 8 weeks.

If you pass the 688 before May then you can get the Windows 10 exam for FREE when its released!

Source: https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2015/02/19/how-to-get-a-windows-10-exam-for-free
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • XxNooniexXXxNooniexX Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, you did very well!!!

For 70-688 ( I haven't taken it yet but...) from what I've heard, you will need to really know Window Intune well. You can download a trial for this and Office 365 (which will also be on the exam). Apparently another hot topic is MDOP ( the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack) and all of the tools contained with in it, I would be very familiar with these topics before you take the exam. Perhaps you could set up a virtual machine to play with too if you haven't already done so, that can be useful when it comes to learning how to set up a bootable version of Windows on a VHD which you would also need to know how to do.

Is there any advice you can give to us who haven't passed the 70-687 by the way? I'm studying for them both at the moment and I would really appreciate any advise you could give me :)
  • baboontesterbaboontester Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

XxNooniexX - I had a lot of file permission questions so know those well. For example, "If you move XYZ folder to another folder within the same drive, do the permissions from the previous folder stay, or does it take on the new folders permissions. I had at least 5 or 6 questions about that. Know Hyper V, know the minimum requirements for Windows 8.1.

I found this list on another post, this is very accurate. Only thing it's missing is the file permissions:

-Available upgrade paths
    -Installing and Manipulating VHD's
    -Windows Store Sideloading and Deeplinking
    -Hyper-v Networking
    -Windows Firewall
    -Storage Spaces
    -Windows RE
    -Windows To Go
  • baboontesterbaboontester Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bobby_Hill wrote: »
    Well done,

I'm currently doing the 70-687 and 688 too, hope to take them in the next 8 weeks.

If you pass the 688 before May then you can get the Windows 10 exam for FREE when its released!

Source: https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2015/02/19/how-to-get-a-windows-10-exam-for-free

Good find Bobby_Hill! I may do that. I wasn't planning on it until the summer since I'm in my last semester and studying for the Microsoft test plus my school work, it was TOUGH.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • XxNooniexXXxNooniexX Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

XxNooniexX - I had a lot of file permission questions so know those well. For example, "If you move XYZ folder to another folder within the same drive, do the permissions from the previous folder stay, or does it take on the new folders permissions. I had at least 5 or 6 questions about that. Know Hyper V, know the minimum requirements for Windows 8.1.

I found this list on another post, this is very accurate. Only thing it's missing is the file permissions:

-Available upgrade paths
    -Installing and Manipulating VHD's
    -Windows Store Sideloading and Deeplinking
    -Hyper-v Networking
    -Windows Firewall
    -Storage Spaces
    -Windows RE
    -Windows To Go

Thanks baboontester, I'll be sure to study up on those topics then. I'm preparing to take my exams in June but I'm really nervous about it. Hopefully It will go okay though...
  • Bob64Bob64 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just sat 70-688, and just passed. I found it harder than 70-687.

Some tips:
    - Know Intune well, especially policies.
    - MBAM need to know how to set policies.
    - Office 365, need to know how 365 settings interact with Intune settings
    - A few questions on App-v vs RemoteApp vs Win to go, scenarios asking to choose best one
    for a given situation.

The list of skills measured on the Microsoft 70-788 site is a good guide.
  • jensmith592jensmith592 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good luck on the next one!
  • srobinsrobin Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks, taking 70-688 next month.