Options

Part of the IT job I don't like dealing with....

David71David71 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.... I am a current MCITP and MCITP DBA. Before then the last time I was certified was in NT 4.0. The reason for not getting every cert is because it to me is like licensing, a headache I hate dealing with... So, since it was in 2009 when the last time I went through this, does anyone have words of wisdom for a current MCITP to get to MCSE? Both on Server and DB side? Also, is there any word about Win10? It seems to me that they released 10 an a version of server 10.... but if it would be one of those situations where you would have to take 7 exams to upgrade to 10 as opposed to 2 or 3 exams to get to 2012, I think I would be all for the latter.... TIA for anyone with some helpful hints.
Partly answering my own question....looking at the sticky SLOWHAND put out (assuming it is still accurate, from June of 2012), In my case, I would need 70-417, even though my first MCITP is server as opposed to the rest of these?

So if the above is true, the all I would need is the two in red on top of 70-417

And then deal with DBA side which shows MCSA DBA and the two exams after that? Not sure how to get my MCITP DBA up to MCSA DBA...

Does this sound about right? Also still curious about Windows/Server 10 and certification....

Comments

• Options
    SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain. Like yourself, I started certifying in the NT days,and continued through MCTIP 2008. I slacked off for a few years, so I'm playing catch-up now. I'm currently deciding whether to take the 2008 to 2012 upgrade test 70-417 to get my 2012 MCSA, or take the three separate test, 410, 411, 412.

Then I'll do the server tests 413 and 414 to get my MCSE, maybe followed by the Private Cloud tests, if I'm not too burned out by then...icon_sad.gif

If you're going to do it, do it now. There's a lot of good study material and training available, and very few folks will upgrade to whatever the next server version that comes out right away.

Heck, on the project I'm working on now, they're just moving from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2. Shhesh!
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • Options
    Not sure why you would want to take three tests over one, (are you hearing the 417 is a bear of test????) and I am still not sure according to the sicky by slowhand... If you are MCITP on server now, then do you just need to upgrade one test to get mcsa (417) and then take the other two listed under? 13 and 14.... Also, with my DBA, I am toying around with ditching it in favor of getting certified on EMC VNX..... So much to want to keep track of, so few hours in a day.... Also, you are right... We are just now rolling out 2012r2..... In the previous year, I probably built 2 2012r2 servers out of 40 or 50 servers.... This year, 2012r2 is all I have done.....However I work in healthcare so change is slow because of FDA....
  • Options
    SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    David71 wrote: »
    Not sure why you would want to take three tests over one, (are you hearing the 417 is a bear of test????) and I am still not sure according to the sicky by slowhand... If you are MCITP on server now, then do you just need to upgrade one test to get mcsa (417) and then take the other two listed under? 13 and 14.... Also, with my DBA, I am toying around with ditching it in favor of getting certified on EMC VNX..... So much to want to keep track of, so few hours in a day.... Also, you are right... We are just now rolling out 2012r2..... In the previous year, I probably built 2 2012r2 servers out of 40 or 50 servers.... This year, 2012r2 is all I have done.....However I work in healthcare so change is slow because of FDA....

While I did the upgrade test route for previous versions, I am hearing that 70-417 is a beast. I still might attempt it since second-shot is available right now.

You can be either level of MCTIP for 2008, or MCSA 2008 and passing the 70-417 will give you MCSA 2012, then two more tests for MCSE.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • Options
    zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your a tech, or you want to fall back on tech at any point during your career, keep your certs current, or at least your major ones.
  • Options
    Skelly wrote: »
    While I did the upgrade test route for previous versions, I am hearing that 70-417 is a beast. I still might attempt it since second-shot is available right now.

You can be either level of MCTIP for 2008, or MCSA 2008 and passing the 70-417 will give you MCSA 2012, then two more tests for MCSE.

That makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

I feel silly asking this.... I guess I should know, but on my MCITP (server) it say charter member or something like that...Anyone know what that means?
  • Options
    zaleonardz wrote: »
    If your a tech, or you want to fall back on tech at any point during your career, keep your certs current, or at least your major ones.

LOL.... Certs are such a headache to me, I would consider them ALL major ones.