Guys I could REALLY use some help setting up Home and Leb network

rmilyardrmilyard Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am having a hard time getting this to work. Here is what I have:

Cox Cable Modem (ISP) into my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router WAN. From Nighthawk to my HP Procurve switch. All my home wired gear and WiFI gear are getting DCHP from the Nighthawk. Network is on 10.0.1.X, 255.255.255.0

I picked up a Dell 2950 ad going to use it for my Lab computer so I picked up a cheap Netgear N300 router. I was planning using 10.0.2.X for the Lab network. I need to separate these network so in the Lab I can run DCHP and DNS etc and not mess up the Home network. I would like to be able to Remote Desktop from Home network into Lab Server since all gear is in closet.

So I setup how I thought it should go. I ran Ethernet from the switch into the new N300 Router WAN port. I setup the LAN for 10.0.2.1. I have the Dell server plugged into the Ethernet ports on the N300. So from the server I have internet provided from my home network. I can ping anything on the 10.0.1.X or 10.0.2.X network from the server.

Now when I come to my Home desktop. I can't ping anything on the 10.0.2.X network. Not ever the router at 10.0.2.1. Since can't reach anything on Lab network there is no way to try remote desktop.

Can anyone help me out? I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I even watched this video on youtube and still lost!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFKmJ4wufc&index=1&list=PLJcaPjxegjBVnEN8c6O8w1mNit4WGeAWN

Comments

• meestaplunkmeestaplunk Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Skip the physical segregation. You have a good server to play with.

Use this instead - » How to install VyOS Router/Appliance on Hyper-V – Part 1: Setup and Install Luís Rato's Techy Thoughts

You will gain some more Hyper-V/Linux experience. As your knowledge grows, you can take it a step further too - create a multi-site AD or even create a trust between two forests. It's very easy to pick up and keeps your lab completely separated from your real network.

This is all I use in my lab.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since your new N300 connects to the 10.0.1.0 network on the WAN port it has a static route to the 10.0.1.0 network by default. Your Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router does NOT have a static route to your 10.0.2.0 network though. You will need to configure a static route.

NETGEAR Support | Answer | How do I set up a static route on my Nighthawk router?

Destination: 10.0.2.0
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.1.?? (IP of N300 router)
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • rmilyardrmilyard Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Hmmm... I did this. My WAN on N300 is 10.0.1.2. I also can't ping that from the 10.0.1.X network. Not sure what is going on here.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you need a router? I believe most of the Procurves do at least basic L3. I would setup multiple VLANs on the Procurve and just do basic routing from there.
  • rmilyardrmilyard Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

To be honest I thought the router way would be easy. I have this switch because was given to me but don't know how t setup a VLAN.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would imagine the N300 has ping disabled on the WAN port (192.168.1.2) as a security feature.

Also I think you also need to disable NAT on the N300.

Linking Subnets with Static Routes - DD-WRT Wiki

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/images/0/0d/Static_Routes_1.png
    By default all of these routers will be operating in 'Gateway' routing mode which means they do Network Address Translation (NAT) which makes their LAN subnet addresses invisible on their WAN side.
    meaning 192.168.2.0 is invisible to 192.168.1.0 since your N300 router has NAT enabled.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA