Nathan's CCIE R&S Diary

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE,

It has been an extremely hard decision for me to make during the past week, but I have decided to give up on some things in my life (some socializing with friends and some family time) to pursue my ultimate goal: to be CCIE Certified by the time I am 40 (currently 22). Now I know many Cisco Vets may be shaking there heads chuckling "Hes young, and has a long way to go." That's fine, and appreciated. :). Cisco is what I would like to specialize in. It's the hardware, the emerging technologies, and
the name of Cisco that is the Master of Networking Technology. I know for a fact that once I finish tech college in 2018, I'll use my degree and hopefully my CCNP if acquired to land a role within Canada to gain real experience.

I know it may seem kinda silly of me making such an early CCIE thread, but, It's what my heart desires for a career. And it's something I'd thought I'd share with you all. I will also use this thread to update all of my Cisco studies as well as to recieve the support from not just my family and friends, but from my fellow IT professionals
around the world. There comes a time where ordinary people want to achieve extraordinary things......

The door has finally opened me into the light....my journey has begun as of March 1st, 2015.

Regards,
Nathan E
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome on board!

You have a long road ahead young padawan. But starting is the first step.

Good luck in your endeavour. I started CCIE properly when I was 30 and will be 32 this year. You should make it by 40 easily if you are committed
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Study regularly and post often. CCIE is a long road but a very rewarding one :)
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nafe92014 wrote: »

I know it may seem kinda silly of me making such an early CCIE thread, but, It's what my heart desires for a career.
    Regards,
    Nathan E

Its not silly at all. Good luck.

My advice would be not to worry about the CCIE now - just work your way towards finishing your tech college and if you are really keen go for your CCNA/CCNP in the meantime. All of the knowledge you attain at A and P level apply to the CCIE R&S.
  • silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Nathan,

I went to University at 21, (did a degree in Computer Networking) - Got my CCNP while here, did a placement year, touched the world of VMWARE/SAP also.

Finished University, 24 and was well into my study for the CCIE (with no major experience in any role)

Got a networking job out of university with the goal of CCIE before 30,

made a deal with the girlfriend due to the location she lived in and the location of the work.

now 26, CCIE and deciding what to do next.

I do NOT have the worlds greatest amount of real life experience (as you can see)

But i also am not walking around saying i am the "sh*t" and deserve a massive pay increase because i have CCIE.

The two need to compliment each other but i am using this to "accelerate" my experience, not bypass it.

SUMMARY:
    If people say you are young, dont bother.

Do what you feel like doing. As you will read on the many good blogs here, its about the journey.
    but as you are at the starting stage, dont think about CCIE tbh. Think about the NA, the NP, the DP, how can you make the best use of any experience you can gain at your age etc? (just like i did ^^ hence placement year, graduate schemes etc.)
  • joetestjoetest Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have 2 years of experience with a ccie Silver? Impressive stuff!

GL on your journey OP. All I can say is, do the basics properly. You hear about a lot of people getting into trouble at the CCNP level and above because they didn't get the basics in order at the CCNA level.

Hope to join you on ccie journey one day.
    Yes pretty much,

But what each individual has done with those "years of experience" is different,

I tried to make the most of mine :)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow didn't realise you were 26, I thought you were closer to my age (31)

Also, you need to do another CCIE. :D
    Haha that's the baldness fooling you Gore!!!

From my perspective "REQUIRES 5YEARS+"

anything that says the above or similar, what does 5 years of experience actually pertain to? That varies depending on the individual, you may put in more effort in one month (take for example the final 30 days prep before the CCIE EXAM) than the average person does in one year. Eb's and Flow's, age is but a number (how does this sound as i will use it at the next job interview to justify my life) haha :)
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    All got to have a goal mate, you should get your CCIE by the time your 40 for sure. You need to get your CCNA nailed and then get your CCNP fairly quickly after. Then get some more experience (that I'm currently doing and then properly nail your CCIE).

Oh by the way Silver that's awesome you are a CCIE at 26!! I've just turned 23 and I'm a CCNA and CCNP. I think CCIE might be a bit much in 3 years ;)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck with your journey. There are a lot of helpful members on TE.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. So far, I have done 50 reading hours and 5 lab hours so far. I will keep track of my hours as well.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man you guys making me feel old :) I turn 37 in July..
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nafe92014 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. So far, I have done 50 reading hours and 5 lab hours so far. I will keep track of my hours as well.
    Just don't stop! Even if you only do a little a day, just don't stop studying. Low and behold you'll be holding your numbers ...literally!!

Cheers to your study ambitions!!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.