algorithms, hashes, and encryption oh my!

mcockrellmcockrell Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all. new to the site. been studying for the Sec+ and i am amazed by all the anagrams we are supposed to memorize. i was wondering if there was a site or a whitepaper with all of the algorithms and encryption methods, what they stand for, and the things analagous to them.

thanks
MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CCDA

Comments

• Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    all the ones that are relevant to the test should be in the techexams notes here on the site and any book you purchase should have them as well.
  • Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Following a post by Non-Profit Techie, I would add some. From the beginning, though cryptograpy applied in computer technolgy looks very difficult to understand, if you came to notice two sides of a coin, you will be convinced why SSL or Kerberos apply both methods, i.e., symetric and asymetric.

Knowlingly or not knowlingly, SSL (and successor TLS) is widely applied in secure web transactions, say, book order with Amazon. Quite plainly speaking, who authenticates the both parties, client and server, in what way? After you learn the basics of the two basic algorisms, learn SSL and Kerberos, I recommend.

Regards
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    all the ones that are relevant to the test should be in the techexams notes here on the site and any book you purchase should have them as well.
    That's right, they 'should' ;) In other words that's not the case. I haven't completed the Basics of Cryptography chapter/TechNotes, yet, though most of it is indeed already covered in other chapters. i.e. Email security covers asymetric encryption/pki, SSL covers all three encryption methods, and there are many other examples, but it is not complete yet.