OSCP Passed!

2»

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For any reason I did not pay attention in the past about that book: hackers playbook

Interesting book.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @JoJoCal19: I stopped their efforts pretty quickly. It takes a lot restraint not to 'test' their security postures.

@impelse: Its a good book. I enjoyed reading it.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback; I have been thinking about picking up the hackers playbook. Sounds like it needs to be formally added to the list.
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    MrAgent wrote: »

Congrats, this is a big achievement =) Can you possibly let us know how many hours you've spent on OSCP ? I mean i've been reading your posts since mid September 2014 right ? Also, what was your daily routine ? how many hours a day you devoted to OSCP ??

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    m.
    I probably averaged 3-4 hours a night most nights. If I was on a roll and popping more servers, then I spent more time in the labs.
    I also spent more time on the weekends in the labs as well. This is when I was motivated. There were times that I didnt spend any time in the labs at all for a week or two at a time. I should have stayed away from sufference... Had I stayed away until the end, I might have been more motivated.
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I probably averaged 3-4 hours a night most nights. If I was on a roll and popping more servers, then I spent more time in the labs.
    I also spent more time on the weekends in the labs as well. This is when I was motivated. There were times that I didnt spend any time in the labs at all for a week or two at a time. I should have stayed away from sufference... Had I stayed away until the end, I might have been more motivated.

Great thanks for the info's, so with a quick calculation i've counted 157 days with an average of 3 hours, which makes around 470 hours..
    Actually I don't know which route to go, either GPEN or OSCP -- though GPEN is clearly highly priced (quiet extreme i'd say) i wondered if it's ROI is not slightly better.. I mean here in Europe a OSCP search on monster.xx is almost always an empty net resurfacing... Though i know, i know its probably THE cert and would give me 40 CPE to account on my CISSP... well, i'll figure that out after my CISM which i've scheduled already so this is 1st for sure but i'll see what's coming after that this year..

last, maybe let us know as well what were your total expenses.. a GPEN course & cert attempt will see me outing 4500 Euros roughly...

Thanks and sincerely, congratulations !!!
    m.
    I went with the 90 days of lab time with the course, one 30 day extension, and another 15 day extension after I failed the first time. So my costs are below:
    PWK with 90 days: $1150
    30 days extension: $250
    15 days extension: $150
    Total cost: $1550
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    That's not a bad investment considering how much knowledge you have learned.
    Bet you have a different outlook on security now.
    Ive been mulling over signing up for the OSCP since I finished my last cert.
    Was actually trying to find someone who would share their pdf so I could get a jump start on the training but nobody will do it.
    Anyway, congratulations.
    I think the OSCP will be gaining more recognition as it becomes more mainstream and HR peoples find out what it is.
    I wouldn't say that my outlook has changed on security. I've been security minded for quite some time.
    Both my BS and MS are security concentrated. The knowledge I gained from this course really just solidified concepts and reaffirms my technical ability.

People don't want to share the course material because are told not to. In addition, your name and address are water marked through out the pdf file.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just saw this, congrats on passing!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    Thanks colemic!