Troubleshooting child domains using CMD Line?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
More questions I can't figure out.

Your DNS server, DC1.NWTRADERS.MSFT at IP address 172.16.0.100 is authoritative for your zone nwtraders.msft. Nwtraders.msft has a child domain, training.nwtraders.msft, which has been delegated to your DNS server, DC2.NWTRADERS.MSFT, at 172.16.1.200. All of the workstations in your organization have their IP configuration set so that the DNS setting is 172.16.0.100. Your users can’t resolve www.training.nwtraders.msft. Which command will help you troubleshoot this problem?

a. nslookup
server DC2.NWTRADERS.MSFT
set type=ns
ls training.nwtraders.msft

b. dnslint /d training.nwtraders.msft /s 172.16.0.100

c.

d. dnslint /d training.nwtraders.msft /s 172.16.1.200

From what I can tell the issue is with the A record not translating the www to an IP address, so looking at the NS records don't help.

But I don't know how the other commands would help.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It would be a. ls basically does a zone transfer pull from the address specified and you can see all the records. This will show you if the record existds. Even if you do a set type=ns it'll still pull the whole zone.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That might be a step, but won't give you the whole picture.
    I haven't heard of the utility DNSLint, but it seems to do a DNS walktrhough, so it would tell you why you can't get the A record through the .100 server, which is what the clients are using.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is one of those classic "take your best guess" questions MS will throw at you. I don't know the answer. But,

All a does is list the name servers for the child domain.
    I suspect the answer is one of the dnslint choices, probably the one using the .0.100 address. I say this because the client in quesiton are using the .0.100 server for name resolution, so that's probably where you want to begin your "linting".
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    blargoe wrote:
    I say this because the client in quesiton are using the .0.100 server for name resolution, so that's probably where you want to begin your "linting".
    Or maybe clean the screen on the clothes dryer?