Options

Is i3 processor good enough to practice labs?

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz [This is what is showing in system properties of my computer],4GB installed RAM, 64-bit based Windows OS, x64-based processor. I'm using Virtual Machines in VMWare to practice labs .So is it good enough to practice MCITP labs? With Regards

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I think so. I use a 3.0 ghz quad AMD processor and never capped out on processing power. You may have issues running multiple VMs using 4 GB memory though. You can set them up to only use 512mb memory but you will find that using that little of memory will make the VMs extremely sluggish. At first you won't notice, but as you add some heavier roles on the server like WSUS that VM will start crawling.

It will work, just don't expect it to run fast with that little of memory.
  • Options
    p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Lexluethar,
    Thanks for the reply. How much RAM are you using in your system?
    And how much do you recommend at the minimum with a tight budget like I have ? I cant afford to spend much money so will 6GB should be the minimum in my case?or a minimum of 8GB?
    Thanks & Regards
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    p1xels wrote: »
    And how much do you recommend at the minimum with a tight budget like I have ? I cant afford to spend much money so will 6GB should be the minimum in my case?or a minimum of 8GB?

I dont know what your budget is, but I would go with 8GB at a minimum, 16GB if you can afford it. On newegg I saw memory 8GB (2x4GB) at around $55.00 and 16GB (2x8GB) for around $105.00.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    6 GB if you can afford it but go as high as possible, 8 or 16 preferably.

I have 5 GB and it was a pain in the ass. My main DC had to have 1 GB at least to be even functional, from there all of your member servers can run 512mb but if you breakout your WSUS and PDC, both should really have 1 GB or 2 GB if you are going to put them on the same box. See how things add up quickly and we haven't even spoken about workstations.

To have any type of decent lab you'll want three VMs running at the same time, generally one PDC, one member server and a workstation. Most of the exercises you will run into for labbing will call for me servers than that, i've just found that to do any practice worth while other than adding domain users and messing with security groups you'll need at least 2 servers running at once if not more including workstations.