How many certs do you study for at one time?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is just a curiosity question. When you study for a certification, do you study for 2 or more at a time? Of do you prefer to study for one and knock it out before moving on to the next?
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Right now I'm doing two, my CCNA: Security and my MCSA 2008. They benefit each other in my home lab since I got the hardware and will to test them out in the lab; plus I find I learn better when I can break sh*t! icon_wink.gif
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One at a time. I do much better by maintaining focus on a single project and then moving on once that one is completed.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I try to focus at 1 at a time but I do read books from multiple sources unrelated to the exam. When I was studying for my CISSP, I was reading some Network+ book to supplement my networking domain even though I do not have Network+.
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    One at a time works for me. I usually give myself 3 months study period before taking a certification test.
    1st month Read the book.
    *A chapter a day. Usually 2 chapters a day on weekends.
    *Highlighting important material.
    2nd month Watch lecture videos.
    *Reread highlighted material.
    *find study notes. Messer offers Comptia and Wins7 for $10. Or you can buy companion books that are specific for the cert. test.
    3rd month Take practice tests.
    *Reread highlighted material and study notes.

For my MCSA and VCP5 I would lab during the weekends. Stock up on coffee and tea. Usually slept 6 hours a day during workdays. Shorten my workout from 1 hour to 1/2 an hour = SUPERSETs. After my planned PMP in 2016. I'm done.
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    One at a time. However, there's definitely a lot of overlapping material with the stuff I'm doing.

We need to get more Salesforce people on the forum! =D
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One at a time for me. I do get ahead of myself sometimes and buy books and look at material for other exams or subjects, but I make sure to knock one out before going to the next.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • thegreatbelowthegreatbelow Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1 while simultaneously trying to complete classes.. like English II, Biology.. and the worst... Chemistry.. ahhhh!
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One at a time.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Right now b/c I am going to school for my Master's it's one at a time about 4-5 weeks per cert. When I'm not going to school it is still one at a time but very compressed typically 2-3 weeks per cert. I have 3 certs left on my target list then I think I am done for a while. TOGAF, MCSD Web App, and OSCP
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One at a time for me too, and generally I follow a tree/path as best as possible, like CCENT, then CCNA, then CCNA:Sec since they build on one another except the Sec one.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One at a time.
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right now 4, just a little bit at a time each. I give them priority though.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    One at a time, depending on the topic (MCSA) some of the exams blend in content so while you may be studying for the 70-642 some of the same concepts will be on another MCSA exam.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends - sometimes I feel one cert directly builds on another which makes it easy to study for both.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Two at a time now, as I am scatterbrained.....

Definitely recommend one though...
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Trying to do 2 unrelated ones but don't recommend trying to study them on the same day, I have a primary one (Project+) and the secondary one gives a break from time to time