Need help getting a job in Security operations entry level

cluelessITguycluelessITguy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi people,

First post since joining this very informative site and i really need some help when it comes to guidance in what certification path to follow to obtain a job in security operations.

At the moment i work in general IT support level 1 for the past two years and hold certs in MSCA : Windows 7, Comptia A+ and Network + ( not alot) anyway there is going to be around 15 security operations jobs ( Level 1) opening up in a company near where i live in about 6 months time and i'm really interested in going for a job but feel i have no chance when it comes to certifications.

I am currently studying the Comptia Security + exam for the last 5 months and feel i am ready to take the exam, don't want to jump the gun but i really don't think that will cut it so i am prepared to study and get another cert before i apply for the job, which route do you think i should go after the security + guys ( fingers crossed i pass) it will have to be a cert i can obtain within a couple of months but i will also be planning to keep going long term with the security certifications.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I would recommend CEH. It certainly has its limitations, but it goes over well with recruiters, and helped me get a foot in the security door.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I would recommend CEH. It certainly has its limitations, but it goes over well with recruiters, and helped me get a foot in the security door.

I have to disagree on multiple levels but mainly for the fact that Security+ will be the easiest attainable security-related certification. C|EH is slightly harder than S+ so if OP is having issues already I wouldn't recommend going up a rung in the ladder.

@cluelessITguy, go for the Security+. All you need to study is Darril Gibson's book and Professor Messer's Security+ videos.
  • thegreatbelowthegreatbelow Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most CompTIA exams are frowned upon by holders of upper level certifications.. but I have been thinking about taking the CASP exam (compTIA) because from what I've read it has a bit more merit. If you spent 5 months on security + then that may not be a bad idea... I will say if you have taken A+ and studied as long as you have for sec+ .. you should be ready for sec+ .. it's really just a mixture of a+ net+ and some security concepts that could be picked up by memorization. You got this!

Also .. if you want to go the cisco route (from what i've seen .. good pay) check this out:

Cisco Security
  • LaunchpadLaunchpad Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    @cluelessITguy, go for the Security+. All you need to study is Darril Gibson's book and Professor Messer's Security+ videos.

+1 for Darril Gibson's book.
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I have to disagree on multiple levels but mainly for the fact that Security+ will be the easiest attainable security-related certification. C|EH is slightly harder than S+ so if OP is having issues already I wouldn't recommend going up a rung in the ladder.

I was under the impression the OP was asking for advice on what to do after S+. I definitely agree on going for that first, but I also don't think it will get you a security operations job.

I applied for security operations jobs w/ S+ for over a year, and never got a bite. I got them for non-security jobs, but that isn't what I wanted. When I put CEH on my resume I suddenly had multiple offers in security operations and incident response.
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    The Security+ is a good start if you have nothing.
    SOC's have a good bit of network gear as well so you might want to go after the CCNA Security .
    Another angle you might want to work if to find out what kind of equipment they are going to be using and then go for one of those certs.
    Most all vendors have some sort of certification for their equipment . Vendors know that people who are certified and knowledgeable on their brand will be strong proponents for their products. Some vendors don't even charge for testing to get their cert.
  • BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Since you know the jobs are opening in around 6 months do all yoiu can to network with people already working there. No amount of certs in the world can beat the Good Ole boy network, not saying find someone and kiss ass but try to reach out and create a relationship with a higher up there.

I got my first Level 2 job by reaching out to SVP on Linkedin, he gave my name to VP and VP reached out to me, a year after working Level 2 I'm now a Security Analyst. I spent the last 6 months as Level 2 creating a good working relationship with the guys in Security and dropping hints I would like to move up. When the job posted, the Security VP, said hey the jobs open your applying right?

This strategy as worked for me so far but that's my personality, I can talk to anyone from C-Level to janitor...
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • LaunchpadLaunchpad Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I put CEH on my resume I suddenly had multiple offers in security operations and incident response.

I was under the impression that the CEH requires you to either go through the official training (which is very expensive) or have two years of security-specific experience.
    The iLearn option is a bit less expensive, and they run specials fairly frequently. I think their requirement is pretty BS, but it was a worthwhile investment.