CCNA: Sec thread

bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
Joining my new firm end of March, sounds like I will be working with quite a bit of Security (and I'm pretty interested in this field also) so looking to complete my CCNA Security. Will probably self-study (as I did with my CCNA and CCNP), any tips anyone has and recommendations for study material would be great.

Also, another question to fire out there. Does anyone know if the CCNA:Sec would be due a refresh soon? I can see on INE's website they releasing a new CCNA:Sec course does this mean the syllabus is changing also?
2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]

Comments

• mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't really enjoy the NA: Sec. Much of the material is based off of CCP. You will need to know how to navigate around for the exam. There is some good information in the material, I just don't really prefer the way they do the configurations. CCP throws in a lot of unnecessary configs IMHO. I took the 640-554 over a year ago, so I'm not sure when they plan on changing the exam syllabus. You will also get CNSS(?) 4011 Recognition. 4013 if you decide for NP: Sec. I've never advertised it out, but I guess it's recognition from the NSA. You can read about it here:
    CNSS 4011 Recognition - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Joining my new firm end of March, sounds like I will be working with quite a bit of Security (and I'm pretty interested in this field also) so looking to complete my CCNA Security. Will probably self-study (as I did with my CCNA and CCNP), any tips anyone has and recommendations for study material would be great.

Also, another question to fire out there. Does anyone know if the CCNA:Sec would be due a refresh soon? I can see on INE's website they releasing a new CCNA:Sec course does this mean the syllabus is changing also?

I'm currently studying for this and agree with mista's comments about CCP not being very enjoyable..but I've personally been deep diving into many of the topics to make it much more enjoyable and an overall better learning experience. Looking forward to CCNP:S when I'm done with this/more official guides come out!

I'm using the OCG/CBT Nuggets (both Barker) and Chris Bryant's course on Udemy which you can pick up for around $10 with a coupon code, followed by a little lab which is usually just GNS3/Wireshark locally, then VM's of: Server 2k8, Windows 7/XP, Kali..that's about all my desktop can handle haha
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    bharvey92 wrote: »

"Security"...ok but what do you mean? Security is a massive blanket statement so do you mean you will be working with Cisco based Security products or no?

Cisco Security is good and it won't hurt you by any means but if you won't be working with Cisco products it's pretty much a waste of time (i.e., What good is having a Cisco Security certification if you've never touched a production device etc.)

CCNA Security is a pretty sad exam, it's far too out of date and like mentioned before will have you focused on CCP. Once you start down the CCNP Security track, then it get's interesting and you will then be introduced to more technology and knowledge around the ASA platform, dot1x, IDS/IPS etc.

Cisco is so far behind in Security when it comes to their certification track it makes me sad. The NA is just bad, NP got a refresh but the IE is far too out of date to even attempt.

If this environment is Cisco based, it will fit nicely into your studies and will make it much more enjoyable.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Setting up Cisco ACS 5.3 on VMware in GNS3 was awesome. I learned a ton of new AAA commands and implemented it at work.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Setting up Cisco ACS 5.3 on VMware in GNS3 was awesome. I learned a ton of new AAA commands and implemented it at work.

Say ByeBye to ACS, it's going EOS/EOL and being rolled into ISE

• HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took a break out session at Cisco live about ISE. When it was over I wanted to say "Sounds Great but what does it do?" icon_lol.gif
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Thanks for the replies guys, I have heard the CCP stuff is a bit boring and pointless but I'm hoping to grind through that fairly quickly to hit the CCNP Security. I will be working mainly with Cisco gear, but I may also work with some Checkpoint and F5 gear too.

Seen as my new company will help out with study materials/videos etc can anyone rate the INE CCNA Security videos. I did use some INE for CCNA/CCNP studies and I did find them at times dry but very useful and informative, I may end up investing in an All Access Pass.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CBT Nuggets videos are good too. Keith Barker made the OCG and made the CBT videos.
  • PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Keith's CBTNuggets video series on CCNA Security is great. However as others have mentioned CCP blows.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going through the main book now and labbing alongside it. Not very fun.
    Thanks all guys. I will probably get myself the INE videos, CBT videos and maybe the OCG. Might even invest in a couple of ASA's and lab mostly in GNS3 and Packet Tracer.

Can't wait to get started and get my teeth in the CCNP Sec stuff!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keith Barker made the CBT Nuggets videos and the OCG...highly recommend. INE videos are always highly regarded but definitely pick up the OCG at bare minimum. INE is releasing the CURRENT EXAM...they had been behind and only had the previous exam not 554.

Generally once Cisco announces a change you have at least six months on the old exam, but it has not been announced as of right now.
    CCNA Security OCG purchased, guess it's time to get this ball rolling :)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck in your CCNA:S studies!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Good luck in your CCNA:S studies!

Thanks bro :) , completed the first few chapters of the OCG so far. Started a bit dry with policies etc but getting interesting now!
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you seen the notes I posted yet?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MMqHN75RpGcjRnMmd6aUktRDA/view?usp=sharing

I wrote these back when I took it. It has everything covered in the OCG and more. Good luck!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Say ByeBye to ACS, it's going EOS/EOL and being rolled into ISE

Do you know when the official EOL for support is?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

I wrote these back when I took it. It has everything covered in the OCG and more. Good luck!

Thanks for the post Wolf. I did indeed see this before! I'm going to go through the OCG make my notes, compare notes with yours and then study the difference from there.

Thanks for the link :)
    Do you know when the official EOL for support is?

4th quarter from what I have heard

• CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No one mentioned Bryants videos ... are these not the choice here? I have Keiths as well however halfway through Bryants. Change or stick with it?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cider wrote: »
    No one mentioned Bryants videos ... are these not the choice here? I have Keiths as well however halfway through Bryants. Change or stick with it?

If your learning relevant info thats all that matters. I haven't watched any of his videos but just saw his CCNA Security videos were only $10 right now. Bought them... will see how they are once I wrap up my R&S :) Do you like his videos?
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Chris Bryant's videos to pass the CCNA-Security when the exam was still new (as well as all the CCNP exams). I love all of his stuff if you ever read any of my comments on here lol, he does a great job and I personally recommend his videos!
  • CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be honest I preferred Keith's Videos for CCNA R/S but now since ive started watching Bryant's videos first before CBT I am actually enjoying them.

The other thing that draws me to his material is that its up-to-date. Even for the new CCNP that just came out, hes right up there for a bargain price.

I think that using Udemy as a platform is also part winner here. No need to sync files between home, work , phone, just load up and continue watching wherever. Learning hasn't been easier.

EDIT:

On another note with some people. Why is CCP boring? Is it only me that thinks its the best thing since sliced bread ? :P Its so easy to do tasks with your router. I am currently not working with Cisco. So my question is why isnt CCP used more often that not?
  • adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□

Thank you for sharing.