CCNA & MCSA Server 2012 - Opinions welcome

thegreatbelowthegreatbelow Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have knocked out about 75% of what I need to get a bachelors at WGU in Network Admin.

I hope to take one term and knock out what I have left. My question is...

If I wanted to knock out one last cert whether it be CCNA or MCSA Server 2012 (I know each has more than one test) which direction could/would be quicker. Now before everyone says.. it depends on the person - their skillset, what interests them etc. I am just curious of the duration it took you, or if you have taken both which one went quicker for you. I plan to take both .. but I will be saving one for WGU more than likely.

I am leaning towards the MCSA with second shot testing & I figure a bit less labbing... but I already have the CCENT/CCNA books at my disposal.. so I am still on the fence.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think CCNA would quicker. But then again I find it alot more interesting and easier to study for... I tried studying for one of the MCSA tests before, didn't care for it and ended up failing it. I do sys admin work right now was the only reason I tried it (looking to get more into networking) Also, there is 2 tests for CCNA and 3 for MCSA.

I think it might be easier to get a job with just a MCSA than just a CCNA though if that is what your going for.... Otherwise I don't see a point in getting cert as quick as possible.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe the CCNA would be quicker to accomplish as I find the Microsoft exams harder then Cisco's, but that's just my opinion.
  • thegreatbelowthegreatbelow Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks .. see this is exactly what I was looking for... honest opinions...

Honestly after taking quite a few vendor neutral certs and.. plenty of lower level certs.. Whichever direction I go.. I hope to gain the most from these two.. as opposed to just "cramming"

CCNA would be great for the resume.. as sometimes it's an instant interview... but MCSA is something that could be applied to companies who don't use CISCO products...

It's a win win either way.. I just don't want to wait too long to finish the degree.