CEH Passed

btrotterbtrotter Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the exam today and passed with an 89%.
Here is how I prepped for it.
Bought the Matt Walker AIO book.
Bought the VTC.com CEH course.
Bought the Boson CEH Test simulator.

Jan 1, bought all the material above.
1: I first watched the 10-hour VTC course. I would say this was a good intro course to let you know which areas you need to study more in depth, but you can not pass the test using this video course alone.
2: I then read the Matt Walker AIO book cover to cover, going very slowly, testing out the different tools it references in the book.
Doing 1 & 2 above took about a month because I was spending a lot of time experimenting with the different tools on my home network. For example, I would spend hours testing out a specific tool and monitoring it with Wireshark just to see how the different options affected the packets.
3: I used the Boson simulator to get a basis on my knowledge level at that point in time. I would consistently get passing scores in the 70-80 range. I would see what areas I was missing over and over and spend time focusing on learning those tools better.

On Feb 1st I scheduled the exam for March 9th (the first available testing date in March).

After I scheduled the exam, I did steps 1-3 above again. On the second pass, I took notes, went slowly and methodically through each chapter, stopping on areas I wasn't familiar with and researching them on the Internet or seeking out Youtube videos to help it sink in a little better. (For example, I spent an hour with the CryptTool watching how one specific algorithm worked.)
I was also taking the Boson tests each week and seeing my average passing score go up.

Going in to the testing center I felt I had over-studied for the test, but I was glad I did. Many of the questions were pretty tricky, and because I had spent so much time preparing, it made it so I could pick out the answers which were really close, but not quite right.
I passed with an 89%. There were several questions that I felt had multiple "best" answers, and I could argue how any of them would have been right. I think that brought down my score over what I felt it should have really been. Then of course there were a couple questions I wanted to smack myself in the forehead for thinking I knew it when I was studying it, but not being able to pick out the answer.

I was expecting the exam to be a little easier after reading multiple threads on the forum saying how some people were disappointed with it. I wasn't disappointed at all, and felt my test was pretty close to the materials I studied and not overly generic and high-level questions.

Comments

• thehayn1thehayn1 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did it go in segments, like 30 questions, then 16, then 40 with each break asking if you wanted to review.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing your CEH!
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• MickeyMundayMickeyMunday Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • btrotterbtrotter Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, exactly like that.
    thehayn1 wrote: »
    Did it go in segments, like 30 questions, then 16, then 40 with each break asking if you wanted to review.