Another 70-411 fail

Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
All right, this is the second time I failed at 70-411. And the second time I felt pretty confident before clicking the Submit button. Last time I had 100 % from two objectives, but failed badly at Bitlocker and advanced audit policies questions (auditpol). This time the score was more balanced yet 620/1000.

I already calmed down so I will not swear all around, but I am really disappointed.
Some of those questions buried my chances again...

- 2 or 3 questions out of 40 about the obscure "network unlock" feature, argh! icon_rolleyes.gif
- some very specific questions about Direct access that I believe haven't been covered by two books I went through, neither CBT nuggets
- configuring EVT subscription via group policy - again, something I met for the first time , configuring this on a single machine is something I can do from top of my head icon_rolleyes.gif

And of course barely few questions about topics I am more familiar with:
- DFS, FSRM, WDS, WSUS
I would prefer more questions than just 40, I believe I would have higher chances to pass.

I did try to prepare diligently and with the previous failed attempt I am already at around 140hrs of studying (divided in ~100hrs in Oct last year and ~40hrs this time) and I am getting frustrated.

Well, now I have 3 weeks holiday so I plan to do some labing in the evenings and give it a chance again in April using the free retake promotion. If I fail, I will really start to think about giving up... icon_sad.gif

BTW: I have noticed that MS states that you have 30 days to schedule the exam on their website, but it does not specifically state you have to take the test in 30 days. A MS representative told me over the chat to take the exam within 30 days, although I was able to schedule it further in advance still with the 100% of the price deducted.

Comments

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As frustrating as Microsoft exams are they should all come with a free retake! Best of luck to you on the retake.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck with the re-take.

I found 411 tricky but now I'm preparing for the 412 exam I hate to tell you I think this one is even more difficult due to the amount of topics covered.

I think you have to expect a couple of fails when doing the MSCE.
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Just to randomly chime in... what is the deal with Microsoft (specifically MCSA) tests? It seems by far and away people struggle the most with them and you have to take 3 fairly pricey exams just to earn the certification. Obviously it depends on your area of interest but to me it seems the headache and cost justification of becoming an MCSA is more trouble than its worth. 90% of the server/network/vmware guys I engage with simply rely on google and previous experience when handling microsoft systems...
  • SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    burfect wrote: »
    Just to randomly chime in... what is the deal with Microsoft (specifically MCSA) tests? It seems by far and away people struggle the most with them and you have to take 3 fairly pricey exams just to earn the certification. Obviously it depends on your area of interest but to me it seems the headache and cost justification of becoming an MCSA is more trouble than its worth. 90% of the server/network/vmware guys I engage with simply rely on google and previous experience when handling microsoft systems...

Agreed...to a point. The tests used to be a lot easier, not much cheaper tho. The problem you sometimes run into these days is that some recruiters and HR screeners won't talk to you if you're not certified.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skelly wrote: »
    Agreed...to a point. The tests used to be a lot easier, not much cheaper tho. The problem you sometimes run into these days is that some recruiters and HR screeners won't talk to you if you're not certified.
    Exactly, if you're looking to further your career you'll probably have to do these exams to get the interviews.
  • Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Skelly wrote: »

Totally agree! Most of the recruiters nowadays are just matching keywords from your CV with the ones in the ad. I had really a hard time to "get the foot into the door" when moved to New Zealand . I had many interviews with recruitment agencies but they never pushed me forward. It seems that Master degree in IT and international experience does not mean much for them. I had only 2 interviews with direct employers and guess what - succeeded at both.

I never really needed certificates but it helps quite a lot to stand out from the crowds when applying for a job. And I have to be honest, I have learned a lot when preparing for the exam. On the other hand I know plenty of people that have certificates but don't really know much. For me this is now more like a personal challenge rather than something I actually need for my work. Yet I am the lucky one, that gets a successful attempt reimbursed from the company.