Is IT fundamental cert worth it?

Justin400Justin400 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am unsure where I want to go with my life right now. I am still in High School and anticipating graduation next year. I am taking a IT internship program at school. In this program we basically provide support to teachers and students, we troubleshoot components and service some mobile devices. I was recently given an opportunity to take an IT Fundamentals test for $35. I am interested in getting an A+ cert, but am still lacking confidence in my preparations. If i get this certification I am eligible to graduate with distinction next year. Does this cert expire? Is it worth it?

Comments

• aschw3323aschw3323 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are going to take it for $35 I would do it in a heartbeat. It will expire in three years. But, the A+ Cert is good because it tells your employer that your capable of learning IT and that your capable of going further. If you want to pursue a career in IT and like Computer Repair you should try to get an old computer and put Windows Server 2012 on it. I am just now finishing my degree and I wish I would of started this in High School.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely do it! Will help you land your first IT job
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any cert to build/validate knowledge is good in my eyes - being $35 bucks makes it all that much sweeter. Good luck on your IT goals!

Good for Life - but we'll see. icon_cool.gif

[h=1]CompTIA IT Fundamentals[/h]

The CompTIA IT Fundamentals exam focuses on the essential IT skills and knowledge needed to perform tasks commonly performed by advanced end-users and entry-level IT professionals alike, including:
    • Identifying and explaining computer components.
    • Setting up a workstation, including conducting software installations.
    • Establishing network connectivity.
    • Identifying compatibility issues and identifying and preventing security risks.
    • Managing the safety and preventative maintenance of computers.
    The IT Fundamentals certification is ideal for individuals and students considering a career in IT, as well as those in allied fields that require a broad understanding of IT. CompTIA IT Fundamentals can be a stepping stone to more advanced certifications such as CompTIA A+, and with, specialized experience, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+.

Test Details

Exam Number

FC0-U51

Exam Format
    Multiple choice, 60 minutes, 75 questions

Passing score

Recommended Experience
    No prior experience necessary

Languages
    English

http://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia_strata_it_fundamentals_fc0-u41.pdf
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Justin400Justin400 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am signing up tomorrow! The discounted price is actually $23. I decided for that price it would be stupid not to do it. Where can I study for this test however? I have good knowledge for everything on A+ except printers, RAM, and naming connectors.