ISC2 CCFP Certified Cyber Forensic Professional

CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
Has anyone passed or attended ISC2 CCFP Certified Cyber Forensic Professional certification? I plan to study for this certification as soon as the material is available. However, lacking of practice exams I do not know the chance to pass the exam without taking boot camp. I have thought about the forensic side, even thought CCFP is ISC2's new certification; but with their reputation would beat other forensic vendor certifications. What are your opinions about it?

CCFP - Certified Cyber Forensic Professional Official Site

CCFP materials
- Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CCFP CBK (Release Date: June 27, 2014)
- CCFP Certified Cyber Forensics Professional (All-in-One Exam) Guide (Release Date: August 29, 2014)[h=1][/h]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.

Comments

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No doubt, that's a popular cert, I see so many replies here.

I also thinking about taking this exam. Have you taken it already? What materials did/do you use for studying (above mentioned CBK)? What's good and what's bad among those?
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool, this is my first time hearing about that one, but I'll add it to my list :D I have never seen it listed as a desired qualification on postings, but it's always nice to have more :D
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone taken this test, or even know someone who has? I stumbled on this cert while looking through (ISC)2's website, and was intrigued. But I can't find anything on it, aside from what's on their official site. I searched for a boot camp, to look at prices, schedule, ect, and they don't have anything listed. They don't even have anything available under on demand icon_silent.gif There's a whopping one book available as a study guide. If it wasn't for SANS being too expensive, then I would just skip right over this one, because it seems to be largely left to fend for itself.

Even if you haven't taken it, what would your thoughts be on getting this cert as an entry to the digital forensics world? Worth it, since SANS is out of reach, or don't bother because the cert isn't recognized...? Does (ISC)2's name value give it worth...? Any input would be appreciated!
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I took it. I thought it was a well written exam that definitely hits you up on all of the published exam domains.

Since it is a forensic exam, it tests you from the perspective of an examiner. It was wider in scope than I was expecting, but nothing outside of what a forensics person will have to deal with during the normal course of their duties.

You will be expected to understand the entire process, start (crime scene) to finish (court). Some of it was technical, some of it was procedural, and some of it was conceptual. Pretty well balanced. I would imagine that someone with no experience in the domains might have a hard time with the test.

Like all of the (ISC)2 exams, you will have to get a sponsor and/or produce proof of experience in the CCFP domains, so I don't know if this would be a good beginner cert.

I think you get like four hours, but I was done at about two and a half-ish. It's been my favorite certification so far.

Something like CCE might be a better beginning forensics cert, because ISFCE will waive their experience prerequisites if you attend official training. CCE has also been around longer, thus has better name recognition. It is also more affordable than SANS.
    I'm glad to hear it's a solid exam, the lack of effort to promote it had me worried that (ISC)2 hadn't bothered much with it. The fact that it covers the legal aspects has me even more interested now, as I have background in law. The technical aspects will be the hardest parts for me, but that's what labbing is for :D I do have the experience necessary (in a few months, by the time I potentially take the exam, that is) in three of the six areas, albeit two of them are non-technical areas.

For the sponsor part, (ISC)2's site says any (ISC)2 member in good standing can sponsor me and verify my experience. Do you know if that means that someone with a CISSP can do it for CCFP, or would it need to be a CCFP signing off? The details on the associate process don't clarify.

Thank you for your input!
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Following
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

I think your sponsor just has to be a member in good standing; I have never seen anything that says it's a 1:1 sponsorship. Also, the domains are (rightly so) not all technical in nature. Much like the CISSP, it can draw from candidates with many backgrounds within the field it is intended to target.
    Question I have CISSP so i am a member will i be Granted approval automatically

Yeah, I think you do still have to get an endorser. The only one that you can self-endorse is the CCSP, if you already hold CISSP.
    Awesome, well then I am all set for this exam to be my next big test! I have a few other things on my plate right now, but once I clear those, I'll start pursuing this one.
    Awesome, well then I am all set for this exam to be my next big test! I have a few other things on my plate right now, but once I clear those, I'll start pursuing this one.
    Is it possible for you to make a thread when you start and finish im thinking of this cert but there is not alot of information out there.

Clm wrote: »
    Is it possible for you to make a thread when you start and finish im thinking of this cert but there is not alot of information out there.
    Sure thing. I won't be starting for six months at the very least though, so it's gonna be a while before I have anything to share on this.I'll definitely be happy to get my experience out there to help others though!
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Clm wrote: »
    Question I have CISSP so i am a member will i be Granted approval automatically

No. Sounds ridiculous but every exams requires a third party in good standing to certify you. I have been through the routine four times now.

- b/eads
    beads wrote: »
    No. Sounds ridiculous but every exams requires a third party in good standing to certify you. I have been through the routine four times now

- b/eads

It's not that ridiculous the ISC2 Cloud cert is a automatic approval. But thank you for the answer.