Should I bother with mta 98-365

modtech87modtech87 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am wondering if I should bother with mta 98-365 or just go straight into mcsa 2012.
I recently passed my A+, I have almost 20 years of computer use and experience. I currently work at staples as the resident tech/consultant. I have absolutely no server experience, could probably pick it up quickly but again not sure. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.icon_study.gif

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's up to you but ask yourself this.

What will you gain from the MTA?
    and
    Are you going to get your MCSA 2012?

If you are getting your mcsa and you don't have a use for the 98-365 then do you still want it? Without knowing more all we can do is ask questions.

Good Luck!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would suggest you try and find a job outside of staples and find a position doing help desk internally for a company first.

I'm assuming your position is kinda like the equivalent of Geek Squad at Best Buy? Going to very difficult to go from there to a Admin position, even with a MCSA 2012.
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Trying to find a job where you will be somewhere around a server environment will definitively help
  • modtech87modtech87 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats exactly my problem it is like geek squad, all desktop operating repairs and the such. I was thinking the mta would be an easier cert to get so i can get a job somewhere to get the server hands on experience but i'm not sure if it will help me get a job, there is jobs in my area for server admins but they all ask for experience or mcsa certification.
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    I'm currently studying for 98-365 with zero previous server background and I don't believe it would be possible to jump straight to 2012. The reason the MTA server admin course was developed was to give individuals a foundation before doing the more complex certs.
    Ya that's my thoughts as well and to get a feel for M$ exam structure.
    Yup MS are bridging the gap, giving people like you and myself with zero server knowledge/experience an entry level cert. I would recommend the course.
    ok I will stick it out and go for it it doesn't hurt right
    Nope and I've heard of people landing a job with it. If not it's another cert for the resume and stepping stone to mcsa. :)