The Differences Between App-v and RemoteAcess?

XxNooniexXXxNooniexX Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello again Everyone,

I have been studying up on the technologies included in the 70-688 exam but RemoteAccess and App-v always seem to be confusing me. I keep getting practice questions wrong when they ask which one would be more suitable to use in a given scenario. Can anybody please explain to me the key differences between App-v and RemoteAccess and when each could be used in an Enterprise?

Comments

• RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    App-V is used when you want to run multiple instances or versions of a single application. For example you can run Microsoft Office 2010 locally on the computer at the same time run an older version that is virtualized but not even noticed because it is in a "sandboxed" environment. This is used in a scenario where an OS can only run an older version of the application or if a feature only worked in the older version but not the newer one.

RemoteAccess is used when the application is NOT installed at all on the local computer and is instead accessed by RDP-ing into a RemoteAccess/Terminal server. This is mostly used to minimize the amount of overhead needed of having multiple installations ran on computers but rather have one installation on a server and have people access it at one location thus making administration and maintenance centralized. Additional TS client licenses are needed in this option.

Hope this helps
  • XxNooniexXXxNooniexX Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    App-V is used when you want to run multiple instances or versions of a single application. For example you can run Microsoft Office 2010 locally on the computer at the same time run an older version that is virtualized but not even noticed because it is in a "sandboxed" environment. This is used in a scenario where an OS can only run an older version of the application or if a feature only worked in the older version but not the newer one.

RemoteAccess is used when the application is NOT installed at all on the local computer and is instead accessed by RDP-ing into a RemoteAccess/Terminal server. This is mostly used to minimize the amount of overhead needed of having multiple installations ran on computers but rather have one installation on a server and have people access it at one location thus making administration and maintenance centralized. Additional TS client licenses are needed in this option.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much RomBUS! This is has really cleared things up for me.