Options

CISSP poll

kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
Question for those who got their CISSP and where you are job wise.

After you received your endorsement, did you get a new job? If so how long did that take you? Or are you still at the same position with or w/o a raise?

Comments

• Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Just got certified last month. Haven't even received the paper cert yet.
    Still in the same job.
    No raise.

I did post a resume online and have been getting calls and doing interviews.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Was running a HRIS business with my wife when I received my CISSP back in 2005. No, did not get a raise nor did anyone care about the CISSP back then. Hardly mattered.

There have been a couple of articles relating to the demand of "CISSPs" in the workforce - particularly last year. I would search out compensation (comp tables) through Google. For example: 2015 compensation for CISSP yielded: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certification Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale

Much of what your reading about and in demand are the seasoned, 10 plus year security people. Those are the folks who are most in demand and gathering the big Y-O-Y (Year-Over-Year) raises. Takes time.

- b/eads
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    beads wrote: »
    Was running a HRIS business with my wife when I received my CISSP back in 2005. No, did not get a raise nor did anyone care about the CISSP back then. Hardly mattered.

There have been a couple of articles relating to the demand of "CISSPs" in the workforce - particularly last year. I would search out compensation (comp tables) through Google. For example: 2015 compensation for CISSP yielded: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certification Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale

Much of what your reading about and in demand are the seasoned, 10 plus year security people. Those are the folks who are most in demand and gathering the big Y-O-Y (Year-Over-Year) raises. Takes time.

- b/eads

Not really doing it for the money anyway. I make way more than I need ..or I'm worth right now. ;)
    Would be nice to make some Chicago money though.
    Where are you at Beads?
    I grew up on the south side of Chicago...nice little town called harvey.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Passed the test Monday, sent in my endorsement paperwork today. Had a recruiter who found my old resume email today about a position that requires CISSP and asked me if I would be interested in obtaining it. After informing the recruiter that it's already in the works she's working on setting up the first phone interview. This job is one that I want, and it would double my salary.

All of this is without listing it on anything or telling anyone, it just happened to be a requirement for a job I otherwise more or less qualify for.
  • Options
    fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
    I passed the test this past weekend. I don't expect any change because this certification was required for my current job. I'm happy with my salary and job, though, so that's all right with me.
    "It's so stimulating being your hat!"
    "... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @mjsinhsv;

By no means a native but lived in Edgewater on the park now for close to 20 years. I am a known consultant/contractor in the Chicagoland area specializing in difficult to clean up messes. For now I am out in one of those far-flung NW suburbs making more than I feel is deserved.

Oddly, the jobs that I had to work the hardest, most hours, worst bosses, were also the worst paying positions and jobs I ever had.

As far Chicago goes. I'd easily head back to Northern Michigan if I could bring my own job and one for the wife as well. Thus far I just don't have that kind of fire in the belly idea in which to do it as of yet. The last one took alot out of me.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Passed the exam in September 2013, in October received my notification of official CISSP status. Posted it on my resume on Indeed and LinkedIn profile which led to 10-15 phone calls and emails weekly during the busiest times. In November an internal recruiter for a Fortune 100 global financial firm emailed me about a job they were interested in me for. Interviewed and got that job, which was a 25.5% pay raise. After working there decided to relocate back to Jacksonville and in August 2014 reactivated my Indeed resume and LinkedIn and again was getting 7-10 calls and emails a week. Landed a new job at a pay raise of 15% from the previous job. So since obtaining my CISSP I've made two job changes for a total of 44.5% increase from where I started. Went from Analyst II - Sys/Data Security > AVP Information Security Risk Management > Senior Information Security Administrator.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After getting the endorsement done and Linkedin updated, I got about 10 leads from employers. Got a 40% raise from my current employer, so I'm still in the same spot.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I got my CISSP in July last year and offered a new job in August icon_cool.gif

I am not 100% on the correlation as my job move was instigated by someone I have known for 12+ years who wanted me to go and work for him, I didn't get a pay increase as I felt the opportunity was worth the move without to get myself into a growing company I can help drive and shape.

I have never asked if my CISSP was a requirement as they expect a base of CISA (which I took and passed in December - must get the paperwork sent off icon_bounce.gif)
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP