McGraw Hill Practice Exams - Scoring is screwed up?

Spin LockSpin Lock Member Posts: 142
I was taking the McGraw Hill practice exam #1 for Information Governance located here:

McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams

and I thought I was doing reasonably well. There are 52 questions, and I got 46 correct. The exam shows you a running point count, but I don't look at it in an effort to make the exam feel more realistic. So when I answered the last question and my score was printed I was shocked when it said I scored "69%"!!

Okay, I know the questions are weighted, so your score is based on points not the total number you got correct. So if you miss heavily weighted questions, your score will be lower than if you miss questions of lower weight. But even factoring that in, how the heck do I end up getting 69% when I only missed 6 questions?!?

When I went back and reviewed my score, it showed me every question and how many points it was worth . Of the 52 questions, the scoring breaks down like this:

Questions worth 1 point each: 41
Questions worth 2 points each: 9
Questions worth 10 points each: 2

So I only missed 6 questions, but two of them were the 10 point questions (see the screenshots attached). That means those two misses cost me 20 points! Those two questions both deal with CObIT, but there is nothing about them, in my opinion, that warrants them being worth 10 points each. They are no harder than the 1 point questions.

It also seems very odd that 50 of the questions are worth 1 or 2 points and two are worth 10. To me, the weighting of these questions is way off.

I'm sharing this as a heads-up. If you are using the MH practice tests to figure out if you are ready for the real exam (i.e. "don't take the real exam unless you score 80% or better on MH Practice tests") - make sure you review the weighting of the questions otherwise you could end up with a score that is too pessimistic or optimistic.

Comments

• GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I wouldn't bother with the weight of the scores. Just use to practice, but good point.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Spin - I would drop the $$ and go with transcender exams instead.
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just had a similar experience: Answered 46 of 52 correct and earned a 78% (opposed to what I was expecting to be 88%). Only 2 questions were weighted as 10 points, one of which was a detailed question on CoBIT-- which I think is a bit wonky lol.

I've been using Trancender for a while now and I still think MH is much better.

Cheers,
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Robicus wrote: »
    I just had a similar experience: Answered 46 of 52 correct and earned a 78% (opposed to what I was expecting to be 88%). Only 2 questions were weighted as 10 points, one of which was a detailed question on CoBIT-- which I think is a bit wonky lol.

I've been using Trancender for a while now and I still think MH is much better.

Cheers,

How do you go back and view previous MH exams you've taken and get a scoring report with all the items pointing to referenced material? I never saw that feature in MH.
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey papadoc,

You're right-- you cannot go back and view previous practice test results. I'm still making my way through the 2nd set of tests (only 1 left!), so my post on this thread was right after taking one of them.
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP