Terminal Services and RDP the same thing?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I seen several exam pratice questions that make references to terminal services/servers and I have no idea what it is?

How do I install terminal services?

Is this the same thing as using Remote Desktop Protocol?

Comments

• w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Terminal Services is based off of RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).
    It is more powerful than Remote Desktop as it allows more connections, shadowing, etc. They both use port 3389.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_Services
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    They are related, but for different purposes. RDP really is the TCP protocol used to provide remote desktop or terminal services.

When pertaining to server 2003, Remote Desktop is automatically installed and available to provide remote administration.
    Using Add/Remove programs, you can add terminal services and terminal server licensing service to add to the default RD to support multi-instance of applications and allow more than just the default 2 connections.
  • RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    Are there any documentation that explains fully on how to use and install Terminal services?

How many questions on terminal services is on the actual 70-290 exam?
    So if I have a Windows 98 computer I can install Remote Desktop Web Connection and it allows me to connect to a Windows 2003 server?
    No. Remote Desktop Web connection is added to IIS so you can make an RDP connection from a web page.

Sounds like you want to install the Remote Desktop client. It will work on Win '98.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en
    Essentially what it looks like RDWC does is download the client and connect via the IIS webpage and connection.
    Yeah. If you want to install RDWC on your server, your 98 client(s) won't have to bother with downloading the Remote Desktop client. Clients will be prompted to pull down an ActiveX control and log into the server. I would go the RDWC route. Are you good w/ IIS? You may have to route your default website path to the TSWeb folder after you install it.
    Danman32 wrote:
    Essentially what it looks like RDWC does is download the client and connect via the IIS webpage and connection.

What is the web address do I connect through the client?

What's the difference using the web browser compared to the RDC client?
    The difference is that you can access the terminal server through a web page instead of launching a client to access it.

The URL is going to be the host name of the server running IIS.
    Do you have server 2000 or 2003?
    w^rl0rd wrote:
    The difference is that you can access the terminal server through a web page instead of launching a client to access it.

Windows 2003.

Though I am a little confused, according to this article I can access the server with only IIS.
    No. That article tells you to install RDWC from Add/Remove. It will integrate into ISS. IIS needs to be installed from Add/Remove too.
    w^rl0rd wrote:
    No. That article tells you to install RDWC from Add/Remove. It will integrate into ISS. IIS needs to be installed from Add/Remove too.

So do I need to install Terminal Service to remote access through the web?
  • FijianTribeFijianTribe Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I am not mistaken you also need to purchase separate licensing.

Remote desktop comes with windows 2003/XP... however if you decied to use terminal services I beleive you must buy the server and/or client licenses to "legally" use it.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Terminal server will install as an "evaluation license", that expires in 120 days after you install it. (Hint: there are questions about licensing and expiration of terminal services on the test.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just go ahead and install Terminal Services from the windows CD and play around with it. You'll learn a lot! That technet article is good too.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    RZetlin wrote:
    w^rl0rd wrote:

Windows 2003.

Though I am a little confused, according to this article I can access the server with only IIS.

That article is configuring XP to provide remote desktop through web interface. This is so you can access your workstation remotely.

What I understand we are talking here, is accessing terminal services through web services. They are similar, and use common functions. However, TS is a more enhanced RD, supporting multiple application instances. RD doesn't require licenses, but TS does though you get an eval period license.

If I recall, besides HTTP(s), you still need another port connection for the RDP itself. But that might be only with Remote Workplace which comes with SBS, and allows access to workstations in a network through the server acting as an RDP proxy.
    I understand on how to install terminal servers.

But how do I connect to one using a client? (E.g. XP)
    From XP

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Remote Desktop Conneciton

Enter the IP address of the terminal server and click connect.

If Win2k or earlier, you can download this software from microsoft. Many linux distros have this client software built in as well.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I figured out how to log on remotely with the admintrator account through the web browser and remote desktop client.

But I can't seen to log in with a normal user account.

I keep getting message below.

terminalserviceserrorlogonzg7.th.jpg

How do I logon onto a server with a normal account?
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Manually add your user account to the Remote Desktop Users group or from the System Properties/Remote tab click the Select Remote Users button and add the user(s) there (It does the same thing).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Seriously. read the links that have been provided in this thread, all of your questions are answered. You have to learn to do that if you hope to hold down a sysadmin job someday.
    IT guy since 12/00

Verify that the Remote Users group actually has the Log On through TS right (or log on locally for W2K). Often it really doesn't.
    Or you can assign the users the right directly, or through a group of your own choosing.

The logon error one gets does a good job of cluing you in to where the problem exists. That's why I annoy clients by asking for the exact error.
    I guess it's kind of like a parent knowing why the baby is crying by how the baby is crying.
    I figured out why I can't the user to connect to the server even after I made the user a member fo the Remote Desktop User.

remotedesktopuserstf9.th.jpg

Remote Desktop User is a local group, not a global group.

My user is located on a different server that is a domain controller.

Does anybody know why Remote Desktop User is a local group and not a global group?
    Seriously. read the links that have been provided in this thread, all of your questions are answered. You have to learn to do that if you hope to hold down a sysadmin job someday.

The articles listed are vague on setting terminal servers. Do you where I can get step by step on setting up terminal servers without beating around the bush.
    Why would you want to have another global group that gives someone rights to every remote desktop in the domain? Being a domain admin gives you this right.
    IT guy since 12/00

You can put any user in a member domain in a local group of a machine that is also a member of the domain (or trusts the domain the user is in), as well as a global group. That's actually best practice.

What you can't do is put a local user in machine A into the local group of machine B, though you can duplicate the user in machine B and hope for pass-thru authentication to work. But a DC does not have any local users, they are all domain user accounts and can be placed into any local group of any member machine.
    Remember the UsGGLR rule.