questions about RHCSA

$TR1K3R$TR1K3R Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

Now when I'm on my way to RHCSA (and maybe RHCE), I thought it would be a very good idea to ask some questions to others who know much more than I.

I'm preparing for EX200 v7, using CentOS 7 (I found it more friendly than scientific linux :D , by the way they are actually same) and official Red Hat documentation, also using M. Jang's book. Have set up several virtual and physical labs. But there are some points that make me nervous. for example I can't understand what does Red Hat mean when they say:
  • Locate, read, and use system documentation including man, info, and files in /usr/share/doc
Note: Red Hat may use applications during the exam that are not included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the purpose of evaluating candidate's abilities to meet this objective.

Does this mean that I should use man and info pages or on the contrary - this won't be good idea?

And just one thing: when using kickstart, I mentioned that installing OS takes 20< minutes and sometimes much more. At first I thought there was a problem with my lab set up, but when I searched in google, I found several people also complaining about this problem. I'm afraid that this might be a problem on an exam when time is everything.

Any answer and advice will be welcomed :)

Comments

• asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    1. I read that task as saying you know how to find the help pages e.g. using man or --help etc. As an example. I can never remember the flags of the "add user" commands of the different OS I use - and I do it so seldom that it has never "stuck" - so I remember how to check the help pages or -h options of the command.

2. Don't worry about about the bit in red - Red Hat are not out to get you, or catch you out. It's just saying that they might use additional software that you do not know about. Nothing to be concerned about.

3. 20 mins for a kickstart install is probably about normal. It is piecemeal, it installs every package one-by-one, it is not an imaging software like Solaris Jumpstart can be.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You wont have to build a machine from scratch.
    MrAgent wrote: »
    You wont have to build a machine from scratch.

You don't know that. He might.

It's on the objectives and he should learn it.

The key thing to remember is, lets say there are 20 items on the objectives. An exercise to prove each could take a couple of minutes to 10/20/30 minutes. There is a set time in the exam, if you ask you do tasks that are 10-20 minutes then there is less coverage they could get than if they stuck to the "quicker" tasks. Likewise if they did all the quicker tasks then they might not be able to test the tricky long-winded tasks.

The result is almost always a combination. Given how long it tasks to build a server from scratch it might be a fair bet to say it's unlikely they will ask you to do it - but they could, and you must be prepared to it either way.

In any case, it's all good practice.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do know that. I took the exam. I was also told that in the Redhat classes I went through.
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I do know that. I took the exam. I was also told that in the Redhat classes I went through.

You also signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement to state that you will disclose information about your exam. They could revoke your certs.
  • $TR1K3R$TR1K3R Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you for replies, they are really useful.
  • $TR1K3R$TR1K3R Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Highl1 wrote: »

I'm using old version on RHEL6. Yes, I know that many things have changed, but anyway many things does not ;)
    I remember buying Jang's book thinking that's what I needed for RHCSA. But in reality there is so much good resources out there on the internet/youtube that I never even read it.
  • Highl1Highl1 Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well Jang's book is pretty much what you need, in my opinion. I've went to official RHEL course, and after it I've prepared with Jang and official documentation, and it was more than enough, I've passed with 287 / 300