The short CISSP adventure (hopefully)

mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
I finally got approved for a CISSP voucher. Unfortunately, the exam is changing on the April 15th. So, I will be sitting the exam before then. My CCDA/CCDP studies are put on an immediate hold.

Background: 2 years as a Network Engineer, 1 year as a System Administrator, and 9 months as a UNIX Server Administrator.

I ordered the AIO, but it won't get here until Monday. So this weekend I will be watching CBT Nuggets to build up some ground work. I took a 2 week CISSP review course back in December 2012, but I'm pretty sure most of that information has disappeared from my memory.

Plan: Read until my eyes fall out. Possibly do CCCure on the domains I'm not proficient in.

Are there any particular domains that you all would put a bigger emphasis on?

Wish me luck, and thanks for any advice!
Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley

Comments

• jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When it comes to what which domains to place more emphasis on, I believe that it comes down to which domains you are comfortable with and which you are not.

I'd recommend the Sybex 6E CISSP study guide and the 11th Hour. Both are concise enough to be read multiple times before your test date.

Good luck!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm holding out on study material until I finish the AIO. It all depends on how comfortable I feel. I'm definitely looking at getting the 11th Hour by Conrad if I'm not too comfortable. Going to do some digging through the forum and look for that Sunflower PDF. I'm also going to look through awesome notes that some of you have posted on the forums.
  • Momala2525@gmail.comMomala2525@gmail.com Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Good luck! How set are you on the business aspect of things?
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
    I'm no too awfully bad with the business side of it, as far as disaster recovery and business continuity is concerned. Probably need some brushing up on impact analysis though
    Do you have the Shon Harris audio files?
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck on your CISSP Journey! I recommend the 11th hour and CISSP exam cram books, and using the AIO as a reference for your weaker domains as it is very detailed and overwhelming in some areas.

H3||scr3am
    I don't have the audio files, but I've been tossing around the idea of getting them for when I'm just sitting in my car.

I think I'll get through the AIO once... and only once unfortunately. I don't really have the extra cash right now to spend on multiple books, that's why I bought the AIO. I figured it should cover everything pretty thoroughly. I downloaded the Sunflower PDF and have started adding a few notes to them.
    I've only gotten through 2 of the CBT Nuggets videos. The wife took the kids out for the day though, so hopefully I can finish at least half of them.
    Well, I'm about halfway through the CBT's. I can't really say they are helpful at all. Most of this stuff is just common knowledge if you have been in the IT realm for a few years. I don't have my book yet, so I'm just going to finish them to be thorough. People say the CISSP is a mile wide and an inch deep.... these CBT's are 1/8 mile wide and about .5 centimeters deep.
    The CBT Nuggets are a good introduction. On their page, it show intermediate level. I would use them before diving into anything. If you need the audio files, go to the post that says Passed CISSP in Two weeks down below. In the explanation, there is a link to the legit website that has the shon harris audio files. Another member found them.
    Thanks for the location of the link. Just downloaded them and synced them to my phone.
  • Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    The 11th hour is a good last minute read to hopefully help you remember any of the more common material you might be asked. I would not even consider using it as a primary study means. I liked the Sybex book, I felt it didn't leave much out. The Shon Harris book is really tough to swallow much like the CBK. Good luck, and remember that it is a management exam, you will see multiple right answers, think how would the boss answer this question before saving your answer.
    I think the whole management point of view is going to be the most difficult thing to grasp. I'll try to think like my boss, which doesn't always make sense to me... haha.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any CISSP can and is encouraged to write the future questions for the exam. Since the ISC2 has asked us to change how to write the questions nor the material to submit I am guessing that this is more of a rearranging of the deck chair on the Titanic scenario than any material change to the exam itself. Yes, that's where the phrase rearranging the deck chairs comes from.

If anything dropping or combining exam subjects down to 8 from 10 should make the exam a bit easier and more reflective of what is being tested in the first place. Though I disagree with the notion of 'Security Management'. Its so vague it could mean almost any process related to security with any management task involved. Then again, these are primarily geeks not 'business people' trying to write these exams.

- b/eads
    Pretend your the boss! Best of luck and good luck... the audio files will help you while you are in your car, eating, and yes.... sleeping :D (j/k)
    I think the whole management point of view is going to be the most difficult thing to grasp. I'll try to think like my boss, which doesn't always make sense to me... haha.
    I went through the syllabus for both exams, and they seem very very similar. I would just rather study the material that I know for a fact is going to be on the test. I don't won't to take an exam that I may not have knowledge in certain areas pertaining to it.

I took the 48 question pre-test in the AIO that is offered before any of the reading really begins. I got 27 questions correct out of 48. Seems like I need some work in the software arena, but all-in-all I think I did alright for not having read anything. Time to read icon_study.gif
    Getting my voucher for my exam was a pain in the ass. I'm only an E-4 in the Army, and the powers that be said that an IAM-II slot isn't normally occupied by an E-4, which I agree with. I just feel like they were a little rude about it. There isn't a rank requirement that I'm aware of. They had to get verification from FORSCOMs IA Program Manager, but I finally got it.

Well, I passed my exam in 2 hours and 15 minutes today. Couldn't sleep last night, so I was jacked up on Monster and coffee. Just stared at my ceiling for 5 hours, then watched my show on TV for 4 hours. Didn't study the last 24 hours before the exam. I figured if I didn't know it, then it was too late anyways. Didn't review any questions during the exam. Just went for gold because I was so tired. The whole exam was just a blurr. I thought I was going to fail throught the entire exam. It's finally over. Now I can finally spend a little bit of time with my family!
  • successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Ha, it's all good Mistabrumley89. Hey msg me your .mil address. I'm an FA53, was an enlisted paralegal. Did you roll in with all your certs or are you on the Reserve/NG side?
    I joined with 0 IT knowledge at all. I'm a 25B. Points will be maxed for a minimum of a couple of years, so I don't see me making E-5 anytime soon. I just decided to do something productive with my time instead of sitting around on Facebook all day like 75%+ of the other enlisted soldiers. I'm still active duty. I ETS in May 2016, but with my terminal leave it will put me in the March timeframe.
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Somehow I missed this thread last week. You did great!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the location of the link. Just downloaded them and synced them to my phone.

Where is the link? Can you post it again please?