Do you study on weekends?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was just curious how many here actually do any real studying on the weekends?

I find studying on weekends way harder than during the week. Weekdays are way easier to me as they are already structured around work. Weekends are much harder. Not a structured day, the kids are home all day and just lots of things that need to be taken care of that you cant do during the week. I don't even bother on Saturday, it just is not going to happen. Sunday I try to get in a couple of hours, but sometimes the day kills that.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I study when the mood strikes me, I was doing labs at 3am this morning.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All the time. Have no life, actually.
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do. No kids, though, and the wife is in another state doing her own schooling so my weekend time is pretty free for now. I work a compressed work schedule with 9.5hr days so I'm pretty tired when I come home during the week and by the time I make dinner and get stuff ready for the next day it only leaves a few hours to relax or study.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    This year, literally all my free time is spent studying between finishing my Masters, my TOGAF Cert, MCSD, and MCSE before the year is over. I told my wife, this year was going to be this way...
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel the same way you do, between work, college (3 classes), I have no time on the weekends because I'm doing errands. I try to study every chance I get, during breaks at work, after work when I get home, I too feel I study more during the week than weekends.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, even with a wife and two young kids and a full time job.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Usually no, I am working general however there are some certifications I would like to obtain to help me ascend to the next level. So I do take some time, 30 minute blocks on the weekends to gradually go through the material.

However....

Work never stops, I am always looking at new ways to do things so studying usually just gets in the way. I learn more from actually doing the work than reading about how to do the work.
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    I study on the weekends. I find I get a lot of studying done. Less distractions and don't have to think of work.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never stop. Day, night, at work, at home. For 2 years straight now. When I start to see double or my brain shuts down i try to watch youtube tutorials or check the forums.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me I study when I feel I am actually learning.
    So little chunks of time all thru week and weekend works best for me.
    My job is so demanding there is no time to study at work.
    If I have energy and time to study that is when I study.
    But, as I get older the chunks of time are getting shorter.
    I think it all depends on how quickly you are trying to get a cert.
    When it gets near test time, as the last two weeks studying time goes way up.
    Otherwise small chunks, because really the end result for me is to learn and not just pass a test.
  • Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm gonna need to study at the weekend if I can get my girlfriend out of the office as she's currently writing for her degree. Failing that, the dining room is gong to be turned into my 'office'
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the past, the weekend used to be my best time to study. Having a kid now, it's no longer that easy..
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whats the weekend ?? Everyday is blended into one
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Like ccnpninja, I used to find some study time on the weekends (for school, before certs), but now with three kids it's impossible. I have a rule that I will not study during any time that I can be spending with them. So that only leaves weeknights (difficult due to being mentally exhausted from the day), and nap time during the weekends (sometimes doesn't happen do to family outings). So I'm very thankful to have a job where I can study as much as I need.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Yes, even with a wife and two young kids and a full time job.

We're in the same boat.

While studying for CISSP, I keep the Total Tester on and as I walk by my laptop I'll stop to answer a question or two. If my boys are playing and don't want dad's interference I'll read a few pages. I definitely study while everyone is sleep. I get more studying done in the office and get whatever I can on the weekends.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I study from ~5-7am every morning, regardless of the day of week. The day during the weekends tends to be errands and time with family though. No matter how much studying I might need for whatever particular project/test I'm working on, they still come first.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very interesting reading all the replies. From what I have read, those with children seem to be in the same boat as me. I study 1hr in the morning and 2hrs in the evening after the kids go to bed and my wife is shutting down for the night. I can also usually sneak in about 1/2 hr during lunch. I do this Monday - Friday. Saturday I dont bother. Sunday I try to get in 2hrs in after the kids go to bed.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Study all the time, to include the weekends. Its a habit. As a security practitioner I have to take in volumes of information and distill it on a daily basis anyhow.

Here's my best tip for weekends though outside of twitter noise and the usual 'site maintenance' where I read the usual suspects. Study for 20 minutes and 20 minutes only before stopping, thinking about what you read and possibly do something else. If you have an e-reader of Kindle those silly little quiz books that take up too much room, suddenly don't. Highly recommend them for reading throw away material like quiz books.

20 minutes. You can easily fit 20 minutes into both weekend days and as an added benefit. You'll remember most if not all of your 20 minute stint as that is how long your short term memory is from a physiological sense. Try it. It works. I often do 10 questions or fail two questions outright that need to be looked up and STOP. Been doing this evey day or similar for 15 years. Never failed an exam on the first attempt since. Yes, I have failed exams before but this technique works for me.

- b/eads
  • CityGirlLuvCityGirlLuv Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I work fulltime (and go to school online) so even though I also study on the weekdays when time permits, I do a lot of hardcore studying on the weekends.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    beads wrote: »
    Study all the time, to include the weekends. Its a habit. As a security practitioner I have to take in volumes of information and distill it on a daily basis anyhow.

Here's my best tip for weekends though outside of twitter noise and the usual 'site maintenance' where I read the usual suspects. Study for 20 minutes and 20 minutes only before stopping, thinking about what you read and possibly do something else. If you have an e-reader of Kindle those silly little quiz books that take up too much room, suddenly don't. Highly recommend them for reading throw away material like quiz books.

20 minutes. You can easily fit 20 minutes into both weekend days and as an added benefit. You'll remember most if not all of your 20 minute stint as that is how long your short term memory is from a physiological sense. Try it. It works. I often do 10 questions or fail two questions outright that need to be looked up and STOP. Been doing this evey day or similar for 15 years. Never failed an exam on the first attempt since. Yes, I have failed exams before but this technique works for me.

- b/eads

Wow that's a brilliant way to look at it. I often end up not studying at all on weekends because by the time kids are napping and I get done what I need to and go to sit down, I won't have the 2 hours I want to dedicate to studying so I don't. I'll have to give this a try and see if I am retaining things better. I could then pick a topic and spend 1-3 days reading up on it using 20 minute blocs.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    dsgm wrote: »

Rofl! .... man you stole my brainwave! icon_wink.gif

I study all the time, weekends just go by more cause I drink beer and workout at the gym for 6+ hours while listening to textbooks in audio form.
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I study on weekends, then reward myself with something I'd like to do. I also study throughout the week during and after work. I'll watch movies and notice physical security elements, social engineering, human networking. I am in the matrix.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to add that the quality of studying is more important than the quantity of studying. Much of my time studying is wasted after my brain shuts down. My drive to learn is much stronger than my mental endurance.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Node Man wrote: »
    I would like to add that the quality of studying is more important than the quantity of studying. Much of my time studying is wasted after my brain shuts down. My drive to learn is much stronger than my mental endurance.

I agree 100%, quality of study is always going to be more important that quantity.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dsgm wrote: »

LoL I actually said that the other day.

Every weekend I try to get some studying done but I keep putting it off watching and reading other crap. My last month has been this way too much procrastinating and by the time I finally get into the study groove it's to late into Sunday night and I have to get ready for bed for work the next morning. So I just get a good 2 hours in when I had the entire weekend wasted away smh..
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't typically study on weekends until I get close to the exam or am really dialed in, but will now have to because of WGU.
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I don't, but only when it's the week of that test. I try to test on Mondays, so it forces me to study. If it was far away, I procrastinate.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Saturday's Not a day in hell; Sunday's 2hrs max.
  • tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    With 2 kids and a new born, I study every opportunity I get. I also read every night before bed :)
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to a lot but I find myself trying to relax and enjoy my weekends. During the day I have errands to do and usually go to the gym first in the morning. Sundays are open but I usually take the day to relax and catch up on shows....maybe Sunday nights I would study for an hour or two before bed. Most of my studying is done at work when there is downtime...which comes and goes