Passed CHFI

bharghavbharghav Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Just want to share my experience with respect to CHFI. I had passed CHFI today. Thanks to fellow authors who had posted their experience based on which I had created my plan of approach to the exam.

I guess I can't share much about the exam, but one thing I had understood after taking the exam is "EC-Council wants us to cover as much ground as possible with respect to Computer Forensics Investigation". But the exam was totally different from what I assumed. Since I can't share much details, I have only one suggestion "Practice, Practice and Practice, give importance to each concept you are reading".

As other authors mentioned, I had prepared for the exam through multiple sources. Below is my list of sources from high priority to low priority.
  1. EC-Council Video :- These videos are far better than CEH videos, but some times I had found they are too lengthy. Couple of videos are appx 2 hrs. It would have been better if EC-Council had provided slides too. I would suggest to view these videos initially get basic understanding(Even though videos are very long) and once you are done with all below solutions, come back and understand each and every concept discussed in these videos.
  2. UCertify :- I had read this material multiple times. There is lot of material to study. Focus on every concept, if its a command, I would suggest to practice the command practically. Except the unexpected.
  3. All in one CHFI :- Read one or twice.
  4. CHFI official Study Guide :- Just skimmed this book in 2hrs, after reading another post with respect to CHFI. I guess its outdated, but it explained few topics for me in better way.

I don't think any single solution from above would have helped me to pass my exam today. The exam format was total surprise to me, but concepts learnt from each source helped me to pass with very good score.

Even though there are few things which I don't like about EC-Council exams(CEH,CHFI)(Number of tools, we need to memorize hundred's of tools which I don't like. I would prefer 30-50 very critical real time tools and questions should be on real time problem solving but again this is my personal opinion.). These exams CEH, CHFI help me to strenghthen my fundamentals with respect to security and computers in general. Now after completing these certifications, I am not expert in security, but these certifications gave me platform from where I can start my journey into security world.

I can definitely say I had gained good knowledge by taking these exams even though I might disagree on few things with respect to the exam. All the best to every one who is preparing for this exam.

Finally I dedicate success of my exam to my family and Mr DK Ravi(https://www.facebook.com/dkravideath) an honest officer from India who died under mysterious circumstances.

Thanks.

Comments

• wearingmyrolexwearingmyrolex Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good for you mate. Thanks for the write up.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Thanks for the review and congrats!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Great cert to have!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • lo_____ollo_____ol Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you find those EC-Council videos through the iLearn training method on their site? Congrats on passing!
  • bharghavbharghav Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @lo___ol :- I did course as part of my Masters, so I got the video content through the course.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good, I am readying the book CHFI Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator Certification All-in-One Exam Guide

Also watching the videos from Cybrary - Free Online IT and Cyber Security Training, Forever!

How difficult did you feel Ucertify, I am planning to buy the exam simulation, it looks like is the only legit exam simulation out there?

Some people give bad review to this exam, but I considered the knowledge gives you a better background of knowledge for foundation.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• bharghavbharghav Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Impelse,

UCertify exams were tough, but CHFI exam was easier compared to them. The problem is we except exam to be tougher and forget to concentrate on small small details. So my suggestion is to follow officinal CHFI examination contents and practice,practice from all sources. I don't have idea about cost of UCertify, if the amount is feasible for you then buy it. As others suggested it might not be best material. From my personal experience, I had learned at least one good thing from even very bad source. For this exam as I had mentioned, I had gained knowledge from multiple sources. Each and every source helped me to gain knowledge(even if they didn't help me in exam) in one way or the other.

So if cost is not factor, I would say buy it, even though it might not be best material. Again this my personal experience.

All the best.
  • mahynourmahynour Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • thehayn1thehayn1 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how many questions were there?
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    thehayn1 wrote: »
    how many questions were there?

125 questions and given 4 hours. 4 hours is way too much time... so you will not have to worry about time being an issue.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT