Options

Security+ Exam

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hey guys, so I'm wondering if Darril Gibson's paid practice test material would be sufficient enough as a means of a practice test to pass the exam. I am using Sybex study guide as well to make my notes for the exam. Any help/tips would be appreciated. My exam is on April 2nd. Cheers. :)

Comments

• Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently took the Security+ exam, and I felt that Darril's practice exam helped me a lot for the test especially the 6 sets of lab questions. I also read his book so I do not know how it compares to the Sybex study guide. Only thing I can recommend is know your attacks, cryptography, and authentication protocols. I think those were the only things that confused me a little. Good luck on your exam! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for your response. I'm planning on watching some Prof Messer videos as well. Did you do all the practice questions (I believe 443 or so) in Darril Gibson's premium content? Or did you just do the testing mode practice exams (100 questions & timed) ? Thanks again. :D
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Darrel Gibson has some very useful mobile apps from Android. I got it for the Sec+ but it was bundles with the A+/N+ and they were really good. took a gander at them....

give them a try...
  • Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Justin I did all the question as well as the chapter questions in the book. Idk if they are the same or not but I did see some that were the same.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All I saw was 443 and automatically thought of HTTPS
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey there! I recently took the exam and I read, reviewed, and practiced with Darril Gibson's book (chapter questions, and sample questions); along with Messer's Video's on weak topics for a refresher. Without disclosing NDA's there will be labs/simulations but once you get past them it will feel like any other review/sample questions. Good Luck!

*Note: Word play is major as always.
  • Options
    dell197dell197 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    does anyone know what changed between sys 301 and sys 401 ? about to start studying to take exam hopefully mid april
  • Options
    jshookzjshookz Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dell197 wrote: »
    does anyone know what changed between sys 301 and sys 401 ? about to start studying to take exam hopefully mid april

Here's Darril going over the changes: Security+ SY0-301 and SY0-401 Differences - Get Certified Get Ahead | Get Certified Get Ahead

Also I'm studying with his app on my iPhone, "Security+" by learnZapp!!!
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CompTia has a certmaster application. I took the trial and it reminded me of a more expensive version of Darril's paid content. I would recommend paying for the paid content if you're feeling questionable.
  • Options
    I did Darril Gibson's practice test (100 questions) and scored 94% on it. Any other tips? I have this exam in two days. I have been going through some professor messer videos these last couple of days to reinforce anything that I don't fully grasp.
  • Options
    certified2015certified2015 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm taking the exam on the 7th of april. I used the Sybex book (came with many practice tests) and professor messer video's. Also the questions on this site and the sample questions from Comptia.
    Now I really would like to take a test exam, with new questions.
    Does anyone has an idea? Are there other sites you can practice on?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You got this. Practice tests are almost always harder than the real exam.
    Whether it be MeasureUp, Transcender or Boson. MCSA or CCNA.

Darril's book is beyond what you will need on the exam. It covers everything.
    I am sure his practice tests will be sufficient.

Go to a major bookstore and do practice tests from different books while sitting in a corner of the store's Starbucks etc. Free practice right there.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    You got this. Practice tests are almost always harder than the real exam.
    Whether it be MeasureUp, Transcender or Boson. MCSA or CCNA.

Darril's book is beyond what you will need on the exam. It covers everything.
    I am sure his practice tests will be sufficient.

Go to a major bookstore and do practice tests from different books while sitting in a corner of the store's Starbucks etc. Free practice right there.

Thanks for the tip bro. That's a great idea, I will head out to a library tomorrow that has Sec+ books. I hope to post a pass thread after Thursday!
  • Options
    dell197dell197 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just passed my sec + exam yesterday
  • Options
    MDCaseyMDCasey Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, Dell!

Since this thread is still a bit warm, I thought I'd mention other practice tests you can take. I like what Professor Messer provides in his reviews (Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training)[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]and also the Skillset Security+ practice test (https://www.skillset.com/certifications/securityplus - Free).

Happy testing to everyone else!
  • Options
    m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MDCasey wrote: »
    Congratulations, Dell!

Since this thread is still a bit warm, I thought I'd mention other practice tests you can take. I like what Professor Messer provides in his reviews (Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training)and also the Skillset Security+ practice test (https://www.skillset.com/certifications/securityplus - Free).

Happy testing to everyone else!

Thanks for sharing this, not a bad resource! Also a reminder that comprehensive reading is equally as important as knowing the matter when it comes to Comptia exams
  • Options
    RuminusRuminus Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed the Sec+ last week and only used the course from CBT Nuggets if that's any help to anyone.
    WGU Classes Finished: GAC1, WFV1, UBC1, EUP1, EUC1, TCP1, COV1, CJC1, CUV1, CQV1, IWT1, TPV1, CTV1, C173, C185, ABV1, C179, C697, C698
    Program (BSIT-NA) completion: 80%
  • Options
    majid3612majid3612 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi guys

May you please give me useful information about how to register for security+ exam? How can I see the dates and centers which hold this exam?
    In addition, which materials (books, videos and ...) do you offer me?
    I have passed the security+ course in my country (Iran) and now I want to take the international exam.

Thanks in advance.