not able to get "offer remote assistance" to work

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I can initiate remote assistance with an email, Windows Messenger and with a shared file, but I am not able to get "offer remote assistance" to work. I have enabled it on the target computer ( running XP ).

I keep getting the message, "The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable."

I have checked everthing half a dozen times. Everthing looks right.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Did you set up the necessary group policy on your DC?

Other than that just make sure your typing in the correct computer name of the computer you are trying to offer assistances too.
  • brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Did you set up the necessary group policy on your DC?"

There is no mention of having to do this in the MS Press book , however I did anyway. At least I think I did. I enabled both "solicit remote assistance" and "offer remote assistance." Is this what you are referring to?

"... make sure your typing in the correct computer name..."

I have been trying with both the name and the IP address.

When I hit the "connect" button I see activity in the network icon in the system tray of the target computer, so apparently there is communication of some sort occurring.
  • woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    from MS Technet web-site http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555179

Add these Exceptions to the Windows Firewall configuration (Start, Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions):

1. Programs
    a. %systemroot%\system32\sessmgr.exe
    b. %systemroot%\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\helpsvc.exe

2. TCP 135

You also need to ensure you are in the list of 'Experts'.
    Thanks, that looks good. I thought I had searched the MS KB, I didn't see this page though.

I will try this when I get home this evening. I will post back and let you know how it goes.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That makes sense. If the client initiates the request for assistance, the dynamic changes would be made to the firewall to allow the expert to connect. However, if the expert initiates, how would the firewall know to make the exception?
    I just looked at my book, it does tell about allowing these exceptions, but on the server not the client. Hmmm...

It seems to me that dynamic changes to the firewall would occur when the user accepts the offer from the helper.
    New development, I configured the exceptions, now I get a new message on the server;
    "Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator."

I am going to research and post back. Sheesh, I just want to offer remote assistance, why so difficult?
    I am just not able to resolve this. I need to get on with my life, my study life, anyway. I can't spend days trying to get this one thing to work. I am moving on to the next lesson, terminal server.

I hate to leave something unresolved, but my gosh... it is no wonder people use third party software for this sort of thing.

If someone gets this to work, I would love to know how.
  • FijianTribeFijianTribe Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a setup where I have two machines (laptop and computer) on a domain with active directory.

My active directory group policy disables the firewall while on the network behind my own corporate firewall so the firewall issue is skipped (at least internally).

On the Domain Controller I needed to go to my profile and on the "Remote Control" tab check "enable remote control". For myself I checked "Require users Permission" and then put the level of control as "Interact..."

I connected via computer name... if you have DNS problems, you might try connecting via IP Address.

Hope that helps some what.
    On the Domain Controller I needed to go to my profile and on the "Remote Control" tab check "enable remote control". For myself I checked "Require users Permission" and then put the level of control as "Interact..."

Thanks, but I did that from the outset. I tried disabling the firewall on both machines also and I have been using the IP address. It ain't workin'.
    Well, this is interesting... I just tried offering remote assistance from my XP client to my 2003 Sever, it worked. I was so focused on trying to do it the other way around I hadn't thought to do this. Still doesn't explain the problem though.