Options

Healthcare IT - are there certifications worth obtaining?

BKBroilerBKBroiler Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know there is the RHIT cert but are there others that someone who works for a healthcare system should consider to help them in their career? Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area?

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Healthcare specific not really, Healthcare is one of the main solutions I architect and I see very few people who have healthcare specific certs. There is a comptia healthcare cert book that is good for understanding the basic healthcare IT fundamentals.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I work strictly in Healthcare. A few years ago I passed the Comptia HIT exam. It was OK. It was a good overview of some of the nuances of Healthcare mixed in with a lot of A+ and Security+ topics. Right now I am working on the HCISPP from ISC2 and I am just having a hard time getting into it. It is pretty similar to the Comptia Exam. I am moving into more of a security, compliance, auditing role so they want me to have it. I would say that specific Healthcare certs may help you get your foot in the door, but are not necessary. I don't think I've ever run into a job posting and have seen a HIT or HCISPP requirement. The RHIT exam is more directed to Medical Records personnel.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    BKBroilerBKBroiler Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the answer. I have the Comptia HIT cert from 2012.
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As always, I recommend inter-library loan and a good nursing or biology textbook!

Maybe an online course with a certificate in ethics.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Quality and Lean always looks good in health care.

I was forced to take Six Sigma training even as a contractor at a world renowned health care system.
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely agree with philz1982 and jmasterj206 on this.

I work as an FISO (Facility Information Security Officer) at a big 3 HealthCare org, and I guess it really depends on what areas you are going to be working in. If desktop support, then of course A+, MCSE, et cetera. If on Security side, then Sec+, perhaps CISSP, and such. If dealing with Auditing/Compliance you could go CISA, et cetera.

Not sure where you're headed in the HealthCare IT realm, but stick to the well known IT Certs that pertain to your goals, and that should keep you busy and "work related" whether it's HealthCare, or other fields.
    icon_cool.gif

*HIMSS certifications could become hot in the future.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I want the HIMSS Certification concept to succeed but they have been touting it for several years now, especially around the area of interoperability. Great concept but I have yet to see it happen. There is an interesting little war going on right now about HL7's new API vs HIMSS's API...

And EPIC/Cerner Opening up an API and an App store seems very promising.
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is actually a new CISSP that is specific to healthcare as well.

https://www.isc2.org/hcispp-testimonials/default.aspx

My previous comment about a biology textbook is probably more relevant in the context of personal communications and interests.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The HCISPP was pretty simple to study for and pass. Unless I am grossly mistaken, I am number two to have passed the exam. Time taken? About 65 minutes but I didn't take a break and hated the testing center.

- b/eads
  • Options
    daristotledaristotle Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    The HCISPP was pretty simple to study for and pass. Unless I am grossly mistaken, I am number two to have passed the exam. Time taken? About 65 minutes but I didn't take a break and hated the testing center.

- b/eads

What resources would you recommend for passing the HCISPP?
  • Options
    OcarusOcarus Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely agree with philz1982 and jmasterj206 on this.

I work as an FISO (Facility Information Security Officer) at a big 3 HealthCare org, and I guess it really depends on what areas you are going to be working in. If desktop support, then of course A+, MCSE, et cetera. If on Security side, then Sec+, perhaps CISSP, and such. If dealing with Auditing/Compliance you could go CISA, et cetera.

Not sure where you're headed in the HealthCare IT realm, but stick to the well known IT Certs that pertain to your goals, and that should keep you busy and "work related" whether it's HealthCare, or other fields.
    icon_cool.gif

*HIMSS certifications could become hot in the future.

As someone working in a large Healthcare system, I would say this is good advice. I believe once you get into a system with well known IT certs that work across the board, then you can find out what you like to do. There are many aspects of HIT, applications support, report writing/meaningful use, compliance, security, ambulatory IT, etc. Most everything is going to EMR's, and there are many.

Work hard and volunteer for projects. CompTia HIT is a good primer to understand workflow in Healthcare.

If you are known for good work, people will find you.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I would say catch em all if it interest you, you have the money, and you have the time. It could be something that may help you 10 years down the road from now or current day.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    daristotle wrote: »
    What resources would you recommend for passing the HCISPP?

Spent a grand total of maybe a couple of hours reviewing the material provided in the white paper by the ISC2. Now, the difference here is that I already had a very strong background in HR, benefits and some actual healthcare. Had to relearn some coding facts and differences. Enough to connect the dots on the small bits I didn't know before studying.

Also keep in mind this exam's last two letters in the acronym: 'PP'. Privacy Practitioner not 'Professional'. Its a much easier exam than the CISSP should ever be.

As to the overall question on good certs for healthcare? Currently, healthcare is really trying to figure out what it needs to do long term with IT as a mainstream business essential service rather than just another administrative burden. Remember clinicians would much rather practice medicine than to worry about security and privacy and all those silly things.

Good luck.

- b/eads