Passed Security+, what's next?

seflyerseflyer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ the other day. I've already registered CISSP (associate) on April. I am trying these two basically because they don't ask for working experiences which I have none, and I need some certifications to begin my career in this field.

Here is the question: I would like to get a certificate on the skills. I have been thinking of CEH but it says they will check out your experience before giving you the certification. Besides, I have been suggested to take the OSCP instead. Which one should I take, or any other choices? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• catqueenbbcatqueenbb Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats. I passed the Security + today and I am thinking about the OSCP because it's more hands on than the CEH. You are right, the EC-Council requires experience for taking the CEH, but i heard that if you do take a formal training, the 5 day bootcamp (expensive), you will be eligible to take the CEH. Same thing for the CISSP, I believe you need 5 years of experience in some domains.

I would strongly recommend the OSCP because it's more practical and like I said hands on and they don't ask any experience. I want to be a Pentester and I believe the OSCP would be best for me as well.
  • seflyerseflyer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @catqueenbb Thanks! Me too I would like to have a more hands-on certification. I am still not sure if we have testing places here in Shanghai but I think I'll try that kali-linux course anyway.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! You said you don't have any experience, I would look into getting some before pursuing these more advanced certs. They won't help you land a job if you don't have experience to back it up.
  • guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job. Mission complete
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the Sec+!
  • m1xaylom1xaylo Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck!!
  • balcobullsbalcobulls Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was just reading about the OSCP exam, goodness, that would be one highly intense 24 hours eh?
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • aliceklaaraliceklaar Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi catqueenbb
    Someone with same Username as yours has just created an account over at the TechNibble forum. They claim to have "passed A+ last month" - so I assume it is a fake / spammer. https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/hello.64828/#content.
    Please contact the forum admins at TechNibble if you wish to report this.
    Good luck with the OSCP:)

alice
    ceh,cissp,oscp
    too many SANS
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cicon_thumright.gifongrats
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just remember CISSP deals more with the administrative aspect of security and it is also considered a top tier certification. It would also be good to obtain a masters degree or MBA just to polish yourself, IMHO if you are looking at moving to the higher echelons of the tech ladder. If not, then thats ok as well.icon_cool.gif
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever