Update to VIRL!

ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was pretty stoked to hear about this news! I threw this up in the CCNP-DC section because I'm going to primarily use VIRL for my DC studies. I know I can't just use VIRL, but a little added NX-OS CLI time, or I should say NX-OSv time.

Plugged In! — Welcome to the Home of Easy to Understand Computer Network Training

An updated video about some features and detailed explanation of VIRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJ4ILAspTA&feature=youtu.be

As an added piece, looks like they threw in ASA too!!
Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.

Comments

• OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good stuff, Ninja Turtle! I'm kind of skeptical about Fabricpath working properly, but at least their making progress on the feature set. Once they add on OTV, I will decide to get VIRL. Otherwise, I will stick with the equipment I have :)
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good stuff, Ninja Turtle! I'm kind of skeptical about Fabricpath working properly, but at least their making progress on the feature set. Once they add on OTV, I will decide to get VIRL. Otherwise, I will stick with the equipment I have :)
    Wait, wait ...what equipment do you have? :D

I'm totally with you, I want to see it to believe it. But if they do get it working to the point where rack rentals won't be needed anymore, that would be epic! But I won't hold my breathe on that one.
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haha. I didn't mean the Nexus stuff unfortunately. I haven't been able to find any virtualized Nexus stuff with a decent feature set. Just mainly talking about my CSR1000Vs :).
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I'm definitely looking forward to getting some hands on with the ASA!
    April release now available!! I'm very interested to see the changes to IOSvL2 along with ASAv.

VIRL April release - upgrade instructions and release notes - Dev-Innovate discussion and support community
    One of the network engineers I follow on Twitter just confirmed OTV is working in the latest VIRL!! Working with the CSR1000v image. It requires a clean install, when upgraded as the data plane did not work.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Good to know!

is there any official forum for VIRL? wanto to check the release notes closely, hoping that they will implement fp data plane
    So I powered down my Dell PowerEdge server to change out the drives to install ESXi 6.0. You need specific builds of ESXi to run VIRL, and I can only get the free version of 6.0. I'm currently running 5.1 in a cluster, and I didn't want to toss out that build. I went to power the server back on, and it has some power issues now. It appears it's the motherboard.

The problem is that server isn't under the supported list for ESXi 6.0. The servers that are supported, will cost a pretty penny. I don't have access to the 5.1 U1 or the 5.5 U2. So I now switched over to the VMware Workstation image for VIRL and will be attempting to fire that up this evening. But I've read some blogs that people were having performance issues, along with VMnic issues too. I'm trying to get the OTV and LISP lab going, but I think it's going to want more power and RAM that my current box running VMware Workstation can provide. During this ordeal and excessive cussing in my office, I've been looking at INE and ProctorLabs lab openings. There really isn't any way around using them for solid lab time. I keep trying and I really need to just stop it.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    ninjaturtle, you can streamline your own ESXi ISO with extra SATA drivers and NIC drivers if that's whats missing. I had to create a custom ISO with extra drivers to recognize the SSD i wanted to install the hypervisor on.

As a side note, you can also use CSR1KV (free) to test some OTV configs. I've got it running between my ESX boxes at my house and my parents for stretching the ESX management VLAN over the Internet.
    I'll have to give that a shot Irb. Thank you!

I keep overlooking those CSR1KVs. I need to do the same, and see if I can get that up and running between my 2 ISPs at home. Thanks for the great idea!!
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Just don't go into it thinking that vMotion will work great over it and you'll be fine :)
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    lrb,

Using OTV over GRE?
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    I was looking at Cisco VIRL at work on Friday for my CCNA:DC studies and further..can anyone confirm that vPC, OTV, Fabricpath does actually work in VIRL? If so I think the $199 a year will need to be discussed with my boss! :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]