STP protocol and lowest MAC address.

sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys/gals.

questions related to Network+ N10-005. To begin with, all bridges on the network share the same priority number, and so the bridge with the lowest MAC address becomes the root bridge. When it says lowest MAC address in relationship to STP, what does it mean?

Thanks
working on CCNA

Comments

• DionexDionex Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for N10-005 and if I understand your question correctly. Your STP question relates to multiple switches on the same lan using STP and root bridge election. STP chooses the root bridge base on switch priorities if the switches have the same Priority then root bridge is choose by the MAC address (Physical address) with the lowest number. Which is it's BID IDK I could be wrong but that is my understanding.
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi Dionex

Thank you for your reply. From my understanding lowest/highest MAC address means lowest/highest priority.
    working on CCNA
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    By default cisco switches have a default priority of 32768. The BID is a combination of the MAC and priority number. The switch with the lowest BID will become the root. Does Network+ cover STP now??
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No!all! Thank you short clear explanation :)

Yes it does. I think Net + has some overlap with Cisco CCENT/CCNA, that is why Net+ covers STP.
    working on CCNA
  • karthikhebkarthikheb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sys_teck wrote: »
    No!all! Thank you short clear explanation :)

Yes it does. I think Net + has some overlap with Cisco CCENT/CCNA, that is why Net+ covers STP.
    Just remember that for STP, root bridge = low ! And you should be golden !