SSCP Passed

tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
I started studying for this exam shortly after passing Security+ (SY0-301). The main sources used were Darril Gibson's AIO and Pluralsight/Trainsignal CBT's. I also reviewed other sources such as Prof. Messer's Security+(SY0-401) videos on Youtube, SSCP study notes on cccure.org, Coursera.org, Lynda.com, webcasts, studISCope, and reading security related articles over the course of several months. Going in, I did not have the same feeling that I was going to pass than I did as I did with Sec+, but I felt that I should pass having an understanding of the fundamental concepts of the domains.
The studISCope practice tests messed me up in a good way I suppose. I focused more on weak areas, but also reviewed areas that I was strong in. I purchased 3 and used 2. I took the first one before I started reading the AIO, 2nd one when I was in the middle, and was going to take the 3rd at the end. Last test did not happen. The studISCope had deflated my confidence especially when I scored lower on the 2nd practice test than the first (before I started reading). The questions are worded strangely, but it was an opportunity to address weaker domains and slow down my test taking. Read the questions, read the answers, decide which one is best. The actual test seemed easier than I anticipated. I could almost always eliminate some answers and pick the best option out of the remaining ones. I took 1 hour and 30 minutes and reviewed 2 questions I had flagged. I also made note of potential "trial" questions that I encountered. Next up is BS-IT at WGU starting April 1st. I also have the CASP book that I'll read through. CISSP? Maybe one day.

Comments

• ChuzpahChuzpah Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

Is the StudISCope online only?
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you find the wording of studiscope questions similar to the real thing?
    Or were test questions easier?
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well done on the pass! I'd tend to agree regarding the StudiScope questions for SSCP; many of them were badly worded or vague. Conversely, I found both SSCP & CISSP actual exam questions were clear and well worded. However, StudiScope does help you to think the ISC2 way.
    I would say StudiScope is more difficult. Possibly similar to the Transcender tests I use to take for my Microsoft certs. I also forgot to mention the Techexams practice questions and some SSCP flashcards I found online.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all! This site is partially responsible for my first post military IT job, the people are its greatest resource!
  • musclegeekmusclegeek Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Congrats
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security