Passed!

wyntechwyntech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I wrote my exam this morning (my first try) and passed. I took about 3.5 hours total including 1-10 minute break after 150 questions.

Here's how I studied:
  • took the official ISC2 instructor led training last year then took a break because of other commitments
  • starting in January resumed studying with the Infosec Institute's self paced training
  • Did a domain a week, watching the videos and taking notes, making flashcards
  • follow up by reading the AIO chapters, and googling anything I was still fuzzy on
  • 1-2 hours a night of studying and/or quizzes on CCCure, Transcender, Skillset and 2-4 hours a day on the weekend
  • listening to the Shon Harris audio on the way to and from work
  • Did every practice question in the new Shon Harris Exam Book (3rd edition)--it even has a question on heartbleed...
  • watched a few of the CBTnugget videos
  • skimmed Conrad's full book and read 11th hour
  • Did additional practise tests on the McGraw-Hill site and Total tester
  • Took a week off before the test to dedicate to studying
  • Read this forum for tips!
I kept track of the time I studied and it was just over 100 hours since January. As I was writing the exam I was thinking that if I failed I wouldn't have any idea what else I could study to pass. I really do think I was as prepared as I could have been so it was a relief to see the word congratulations on the result printout.

As a final thought, I know that not everyone likes the AIO, but I personally found it to be an amazing resource and it's sad that Shon Harris passed away so young. Thanks for the help Shon!

Best of luck to those of you that are writing soon!

Comments

• papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Congrats wyntech!

Sounds like a very similar plan to mine.
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    wyntech wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I wrote my exam this morning (my first try) and passed. I took about 3.5 hours total including 1-10 minute break after 150 questions.

Here's how I studied:
    • took the official ISC2 instructor led training last year then took a break because of other commitments
    • starting in January resumed studying with the Infosec Institute's self paced training
    • Did a domain a week, watching the videos and taking notes, making flashcards
    • follow up by reading the AIO chapters, and googling anything I was still fuzzy on
    • 1-2 hours a night of studying and/or quizzes on CCCure, Transcender, Skillset and 2-4 hours a day on the weekend
    • listening to the Shon Harris audio on the way to and from work
    • Did every practice question in the new Shon Harris Exam Book (3rd edition)--it even has a question on heartbleed...
    • watched a few of the CBTnugget videos
    • skimmed Conrad's full book and read 11th hour
    • Did additional practise tests on the McGraw-Hill site and Total tester
    • Took a week off before the test to dedicate to studying
    • Read this forum for tips!
    I kept track of the time I studied and it was just over 100 hours since January. As I was writing the exam I was thinking that if I failed I wouldn't have any idea what else I could study to pass. I really do think I was as prepared as I could have been so it was a relief to see the word congratulations on the result printout.

As a final thought, I know that not everyone likes the AIO, but I personally found it to be an amazing resource and it's sad that Shon Harris passed away so young. Thanks for the help Shon!

Best of luck to those of you that are writing soon!

Congrats!!!! Get some sleep!
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, what is your opinion on the 3rd edition exam book compared to the other quizzes you used? I've read a couple of positive reviews and 1 more would finally make me press the order button.
  • ChuzpahChuzpah Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

What did you think of the InfoTech Institute training? I have yet to take any class for my studies, just relying on my security experience and Shon Harris AIO guide (amongst other video training).
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • wyntechwyntech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Codyy wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass, what is your opinion on the 3rd edition exam book compared to the other quizzes you used? I've read a couple of positive reviews and 1 more would finally make me press the order button.

I'd recommend it for sure. They were the hardest questions I saw anywhere which was great for pointing out my weaknesses. The CD has sample hotspot questions as well which was nice. Good luck!
    Chuzpah wrote: »
    Congrats!

What did you think of the InfoTech Institute training? I have yet to take any class for my studies, just relying on my security experience and Shon Harris AIO guide (amongst other video training).

I thought it was good, and the price was very reasonable. I did the self-paced option where they give you access to recorded lectures, 4 work books with slides and additional info and a copy of the AIO. It actually included some of the images from the AIO, so it was nice compliment to listen to the lectures and then read the chapter. I also took the official ISC live training and I think I preferred this since it seem to be more focused on core concepts.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done.. congrats
  • vmaddelavmaddela Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. Whats your opinion of Transcender tests. Did it help a lot? Is it necessary to subscribe to them or would McGraw hill,El sevier, total testers, Sybex, CCCure would be sufficient? I also have a edition of Wiley's CISSP practice 2250 questions which was published in sep 2011. would that be any good?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    vmaddela wrote: »
    Congratulations. Whats your opinion of Transcender tests. Did it help a lot? Is it necessary to subscribe to them or would McGraw hill,El sevier, total testers, Sybex, CCCure would be sufficient? I also have a edition of Wiley's CISSP practice 2250 questions which was published in sep 2011. would that be any good?

I found the Transcender tests, followed by the McGraw Hill and Total Tester practise tests to be the most useful (in that order). The key is reading the answer to the questions you get wrong and then making sure you understand the explanation.

CCCure were a bit too granular for my liking but YMMV. Good luck with your studies!
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Congrats Wyn! I agree, the Transcender was one of the best testing resource I personally used. MH quizzes also helped, but sometimes got a bit too deep. The MH quizzes are loads harder than the real test, btw. So they are definitely good practice.
  • kvponkshekvponkshe Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on Passing !!!
    I am going to appear for the exam on 13 the April . I have already purchased cccure & practising on the same. Do you suggest me to purchase Transcender testing also ?
    Also please suggest what should be my study plan for last 10 days ?