Cissp Books - hard copy or electronic

wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
In what format did you study/currently studying for the exam?

I'm using electronic and I just can't concentrate especially on the image as I can just go and surf the net instead. May have to get a hard copy of the books instead and no longer use the kindle version

Comments

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If hard copy works better for you then get it. i tried reading electronic books before and gave up the glare on the screen just hurts my eyes and i cannot focus.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually like reading the electronic copy but I usually buy the hard copy since it often contains a CD with extra stuff in it, including a PDF copy of the book.
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All electronic for me!

It's funny actually: after months of having the electronic version of the AIO, I came across a co-worker who had the physical copy and I was like, "Wow! I read the mammoth thing?"
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Electronic all the way! That's one reason I was able to get through all the material. I always had it on my tablet, laptop, iPhone. I wasn't about to lug 10 lbs of books on the train during my commute etc.
  • seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    Many hard copy books (like AIO) include digital copies. She double check, never hurts to have a physical copy on hand as well for quick reference at your desk, or when you can't get to a PC and you want to study.
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I never buy hard copies of the books, but for the CISSP exam... this was an exemption. Marking all over it, writing notes and etc for me really paid off.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Electronic

SANs Articles
    11th Hour CISSP
    SunFlower PDF
  • ChuzpahChuzpah Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use a combination of both! The electronic bookstore is great when you need a book quickly!
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Electronic during commute and hard copy at home. Sometimes both, I spend plenty of time doing research using the things i learn in the books in order to understand the material better.
  • successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Electronic

We all usually "highlight" areas in hard books, but in doing so we have to remember what section to go to, to be able to find a topic. With an ebook, I can highlight an area, and make a note about it, then when I go back later and want to study a weak area like say "Crypto", all I have to do is find "Crypto" and it takes me back to that notation I made.

I read alot, so it is very valuable for me to use this technique, although I never thought I would move away from holding a book. Took some getting used to.
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Electronic

We all usually "highlight" areas in hard books, but in doing so we have to remember what section to go to, to be able to find a topic. With an ebook, I can highlight an area, and make a note about it, then when I go back later and want to study a weak area like say "Crypto", all I have to do is find "Crypto" and it takes me back to that notation I made.

I read alot, so it is very valuable for me to use this technique, although I never thought I would move away from holding a book. Took some getting used to.

This is the key.

+1

I did a lot of highlighting and used that method to refer back to specific material.

If your eyes are hurting from looking at a screen, go get them checked. I probably have the worst vision out of most people here, -8 and -8.5 in left and right eyes and I work on screens for many hours a day. Make the font larger if needed, I find that helps.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As you age you'll learn to appreciate hardcopy over electronic books. Its not just me but a truism learned over time. Your eyesight will degrade in time - particularly after reading screens for 30 or 40 years. Ask an optometrist or ophthalmologist and see what they have to say. They will all tell you the same thing. Reading monitors and screens over time will cause some damage. Its the price we all eventually pay for progress.

So the answers above I am guessing are more generational than one might suspect. I buy electronic books for things that are more ephemeral in nature. Here today gone tomorrow. Quiz books are ideal for tablets or kindles. Hard books work better for me, personally, for longer study periods. Its strictly a matter of preference one way or another. I use both but in different contexts. That and I have a library full of shelved books that need to be recycled and I do, recycle! icon_surprised.gif

-b/eads
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    When i'm studying: Physical, helps me stay focused
    After Studying/For Reference: Electronic all the way.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both actually,

I liked studying in bed so hard copy was much more comfortable...it was like reading a bed time story about cryptography lol.

and it's also good for highlighting etc.
  • klowe007klowe007 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like hardcopy to underline key points the first round, which makes it much easier for subsequent rounds.
  • ChuzpahChuzpah Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    I use both but in different contexts. That and I have a library full of shelved books that need to be recycled and I do, recycle! icon_surprised.gif

-b/eads
    I hear you beads! I recently recycled all of my Novell RED books, Microsoft LAN Manager, and Windows NT books. Had to make room for all of the new stuff! icon_lol.gif