Looking at a Cisco phone cnf.xml file?

Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
Hi guys,

Is it possible to look at the SEP<MAC>cnf.xml file of a Cisco phone? I want to see what background images the phone is downloading when it registers and possibly remove some of the images from this file?

Cheers

Alex

Comments

• negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Alex,

Have you tried browsing to the phone's IP address? It's not pure XML stuff but you kinda get to see what the phone pulls from the the XML file.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also, have a look at this How to get a Phone's .cnf.xml file from CUCM | Cisco | VOIP might help with getting the XML file from the CUCM Publisher but I'm not sure you can fiddle with it unless you edit it and spoof the IP address of the CUCM onto your PC...might work. Just a thought.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is sent in the clear, so you can view it in Wireshark. Right-click on a packet from the file transfer and select "Follow UDP Stream"

[EDIT]

SW1(config)# monitor session 1 source interface <port phone is connected to>
    SW1(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface <port PC with wireshark is connected to>
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If the TFTP service is running in CUCM you can run a tftp client on your pc as long as it has connectivity to the CUCM and pull the SEPXXX.cnf.xml file. To view the file just right click and choose edit in notepad the xml contents will be available to view then.
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Thanks guys, I didn't need to do it in the end but thanks very much for your responses!
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Alex90 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I didn't need to do it in the end but thanks very much for your responses!

I know relevant now, but...

IF you want to inspect the contents, then from the IOS just issue the command more flash:/<FILE_NAME>

IOS follows alot of the shell behavior of Linux so you do this with any file in your router/switch flash